1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy Protection Error

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by cyclone01, Apr 18, 2005.

1. cyclone01

cyclone01 Member

This is a very strange situation. My problem is that when I try to re-copy a movie it fails. About 3 months I made a back up of the Back to the Future movies with DVD Shrink and burn with decryptor. I did this because my son loves the movies but I don't want him to use the original discs of mine so I made copy's for him. As I thought the copies I made him are severly scratched and do not work anymore, so I went to make new back ups of them and now I am getting copy right protection errors with shrink. I tried using decryptor first and it doesn't work either. These movies work fine the first time I backed them up but now they won't do it. I have tried everything I can think of. Any assistance is appreciated.

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

cyclone01,
    I doubt these movies have the new encryption as they are older movies but are you using the Newest version of DVDDecrypter and Shrink? Reboot the computer and now Rip it w/ DVDDecrypter in file mode and then use Shrink as normal. You might have to uninstall Shrink reboot and then re-install Shrink to get it to work but as you know it will work.

3. cyclone01

cyclone01 Member

I am using the New versions of both programs and I have also tried uninstalling them and re-installing them. I have also tried using decryptor in both file mode and the iso-read mode but both ways stop somewhere in the middle of the decryption (it justs keeps on retrying) I have tried everything I can think of and I am running low on ideas.

4. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

cyclone01,
    Your statement that DVDDecrypter stops in the middle of decrypting is what I need to know. The Disk you are trying to copy either has a bad scratch or it is a bad press. The fix is to return the DVD and exchange it for one that is not bad

5. cyclone01

cyclone01 Member

Well, the thing is that the disc work about 3 months ago without a problem and the original has been in its case since that time but I did check for scratches but the disc doesn't have any. I also am having this problem with the Incredibles. It worked fine for the first back-up but when I tried to do the disc again about a week later it wouldn't work (keep coming up with copy protection error - this is the error from Shrink, Decrypter still freezes up and does the retry thing).

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Am I right in thinking you are trying to copy the copies? If I am right then the problem can possibly be from using cheap/poor quality blank media for the first copies. Bad media will sometimes degrade after a few months to the point that they won't recopy or sometimes not play. If this is correct, what brand media was used for the first copies?

Jerry

7. cyclone01

cyclone01 Member

No I'm actually just trying to do a back up of the original discs but this would be the second time that the original has been backed up. Also the media I am using is TDK.

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

OK, then try cleaning the original as best as possible. I usually use alcohol and a very soft cloth. Check the original for scratches or other damage as stated before. Make sure you have the latest version of your software downloads. Decrypter is usually the best for problem dvds.

Jerry

9. cyclone01

cyclone01 Member

I tried cleaning the discs and there are no scratches on them either but they still won't work. I know Shrink doesn't do anything to the original disc but due to the problems I am having I'm starting to think that Shrink does something to the original disc so that you can only make 1 back up of a original disc (not counting copying a copy). I know it sounds weird but I have tried everything and the discs just will not work. I really appreciate the advice and any further assistance is appreciated.

10. colw

colw Active member

@cyclone01

Could you just confirm that the originals are genuine pressed originals and not copies.

Can you also confirm that you are copying these to you hard disk and not attempting to copy on the fly.

Can you also confirm that your (originals) do not have paper stick on labels.

Shrink does not do anything to your original disk and if you have encoded property and saved to a folder on your hard drive, you can make as many copies as you want, as long as you want.

11. cyclone01

cyclone01 Member

To colw's questions
    1. They are not copies, they are the store bought discs
    2. Yes I am trying to copy to the hard drive first
    3. Originals do not have stick on labels

Also, I know that once you have encoded the discs use can make as many copies as you want from that file but since I first did it about 4 months ago it has been deleted from my HD and now I am just trying to do the whole process again but now it won't work. It did work without a problem the first time I backed up these movies. Thanks.

12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

None of the decrypting programs do anything to the original to stop a second copy. Ripping a dvd is actually just reading it. Also oiginal dvds are pressed from a master disc not burned, so the burner drive can not BURN anything to the original to damage it it any way. Its starting to look like you have defective originals. You may have been lucky with the first copy. We are seeing more defective originals lately than ever before. The defective dvds look perfect, usually play well, but won't copy right.

Jerry

13. cyclone01

cyclone01 Member

Yeah, they probably are defective because they will not copy for anything the second time, I've tried everything I can think of. It's just so weird that they worked fine the first time. I will keep trying though.

14. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

DVD Decrypter is probably the best at ripping the problem dvds. In the settings make sure you check use (brute force) box under the CSS tab. That may help if it isn't already checked.

Jerry

15. cyclone01

cyclone01 Member

Thanks for everyone's assistance. I think I have figured out my problem. Like I stated earlier I knew Shrink did nothing to the originals but I tried every setting imaginable with Shrink or Decryptor. It turns out that the problem was actually with the DVD drive itself. I tried the movie in my second dvd drive and it worked fine so I am replacing the other drive as it is the problem. Thanks.

16. k-oz21

k-oz21 Guest

does an old dvd reader matter when reading the dvd?

17. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Most of the older readers and players were single format. Some only played +R and some only -R. Most of the newer ones are dual format and play either. Thats about the only actual problem I can see. As they get older the laser may get weak or dirty and develop playback issues.

Jerry

18. k-oz21

k-oz21 Guest

good lookin out