1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy Region 1 DVD to play in Region 2 players

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by lifeguy, May 3, 2005.

1. lifeguy

lifeguy Member

Hello again everyone, it's been a while. This site is absolutley wonderful, I never thought I could learn so much about dvd back up in one place! I do, however, have a new predicament. My wifes family is from Holland, and I would like to send some childrens dvds to her sister over there. The problem is that I have Region 1 dvd's, and I need to convert the copies I make into Region 2 in order for her to be able to play them. Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to how this can be done. I currently use Shrink and Decrypter for most of my back up jobs. Thanks a million! Lifeguy

2. LeRobert

LeRobert Member

"Hello again everyone, it's been a while. This site is absolutley wonderful, I never thought I could learn so much about dvd back up in one place! I do, however, have a new predicament. My wifes family is from Holland, and I would like to send some childrens dvds to her sister over there. The problem is that I have Region 1 dvd's, and I need to convert the copies I make into Region 2 in order for her to be able to play them. Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to how this can be done. I currently use Shrink and Decrypter for most of my back up jobs. Thanks a million! Lifeguy"

You don't need to convert to region 2. When you backup with Shrink DVD, the copy you get is "zone free", meaning that it could be played under any zone.

Now your real problem is with the video format: if you bought the DVD in the American Continent it is almost sure that the video format is NTSC. The format use in Holland is PAL, these two formats are not compatibles .......... if you try to play a PAL dvd into a NTSC player it won't play and viceversa, the TV-set also is designed for each video format.

There are some programs, even Nero, that are able to make the transformation ..........but I would not advice you to do it, because it take hours to do it, and the resulting video is no a good quality one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

check this: http://www.mindfully.org/Resource/Video-Formats-World.htm

"The map below shows the 6 zones in which the world of DVD has been divided into"

[​IMG]

Bye.

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  3. lifeguy

lifeguy Member

Thanks for your comment LeRobert. I was aware of the Pal and NTSC formatting, but thought that had something to do with the different regions for dvd's. Shows how much of a rookie I am, huh! So are you saying that I should forget about trying to change the formatting because of the headaches involved? I sure would like to send the childrens videos we have to our family in Holland, since they dont have access to them, but if it's going to take up all my spare time, I will forget it! Thanks again!

4. LeRobert

LeRobert Member

Read it please:

"The MPEG video on a DVD is stored in digital format, but it's formatted for one of two mutually incompatible television systems: 525/60 (NTSC) or 625/50 (PAL/SECAM). Therefore, there are two kinds of DVDs: "NTSC DVDs" and "PAL DVDs." Some players only play NTSC discs, others play PAL and NTSC discs. Discs are also coded for different regions of the world (see 1.10). NTSC is the TV format used in Canada, Japan, Mexico, Philippines, Taiwan, United States, and other countries. PAL is the TV format used in most of Europe, most of Africa, China, India, Australia, New Zealand, Israel, North Korea, and other countries. (See the chart at www.remoteviewing.com for a complete list.)

Almost all DVD players sold in PAL countries play both kinds of discs. These multi-standard players partially convert NTSC to a 60-Hz PAL (4.43 NTSC) signal. The player uses the PAL 4.43-MHz color subcarrier encoding format but keeps the 525/60 NTSC scanning rate. Most modern PAL TVs can handle this "pseudo-PAL" signal. A few multi-standard PAL players output true 3.58 NTSC from NTSC discs, which requires an NTSC TV or a multi-standard TV. Some players have a switch to choose 60-Hz PAL or true NTSC output when playing NTSC discs. There are a few standards-converting PAL players that convert from an NTSC disc to standard PAL output for older PAL TVs. Proper "on the fly" standards conversion requires expensive hardware to handle scaling, temporal conversion, and object motion analysis. Because the quality of conversion in DVD players is poor, using 60-Hz PAL output with a compatible TV provides a better picture than converting from NTSC to PAL. (Sound is not affected by video conversion.)"

taken from: http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

there is a section that says: "Almost all DVD players sold in PAL countries play both kinds of discs. These multi-standard players partially convert NTSC to a 60-Hz PAL (4.43 NTSC) signal. The player uses the PAL 4.43-MHz color subcarrier encoding format but keeps the 525/60 NTSC scanning rate. Most modern PAL TVs can handle this "pseudo-PAL" signal. A few multi-standard PAL players output true 3.58 NTSC from NTSC discs, which requires an NTSC TV or a multi-standard TV."

in other words you are lucky (probably): just make the copy with DVD Shrink (it will eliminate the zone protection automatically), the resulting dvd will be en NTSC, but as the article cited before says, it is almost sure that the dvd player that your family would use there in Holland, will be able to play it.

Bye and good luck!

5. McBrat

McBrat Regular member

It is a loooong process! I get many movies in PAL format and had NTSC equipment. The easiest solution I found was to purchase a cheap ($20.00 USD) DVD player that plays both formats. Who would have thought that the cheapest WalMart DVD player would do what my expensive Sony couldn't. I purchased a Cyberhome player at Radio Shak but have also seen the same unit marketed as Colby at FYE and Wally World. All the units I have seen are $20 - $30 and it is marked on the side of the box that it plays PAL/NTSC.

6. lifeguy

lifeguy Member

Thanks so much LeRobert! A very informative article! I remember when visiting Holland that everyone did speak about having dvd players that played both regions. So, I will copy with Shrink and send them over! I appreciate the information. And as far as playing PAL dvd's that are sent here, I will look for a cheapie at WalMart! McBrat, thanks for that tip as well.