1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy to a DVD-RW

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by reality, Apr 27, 2002.

1. reality

reality Guest

When I rip a DVD to my hard drive and then want to copy back to a DVD-RW for playing on my stand-alone DVD player, I cannot play the DVD on my player. I can play the movie on my PC. Am I missing some type of encoding? Should I use the burn image feature in Nero rather than the Write function? I can copy to a CD-R and play in my stand-alone DVD player.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

DVD backupping is a form of art, not just "copy the files and burn them" process. DVD needs to be ripped with css decrypter like SmartRipper or DVD Decrypter using backup method so that you get all the IFOs, directories, etc. Then you need to determine the movie size -- less than 4.36GB including _all_ the stuff and you can actually just burn the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS directories to your DVD-RW/DVD-R/DVD+R/DVD+RW using Nero's DVD ISO/UDF format. For DVD-RWs (note the hyphen), you need to close the disc, otherwise you end up having trouble with those in standalone players.

3. specktor

specktor Member

Drd - saw your thread. I have used smartriper backup. It only creates the VIDEO_TS directrory - not the AUDIO_TS (which is empty on the original anyway) why? . When I used Nero (and ask it to make a new ISO/UDF DVD) it seems happy but the DVD player that I have (which will play DVD-R mde normally) says it has found a DVD but then says CHECK DISK (even if I manually create and burn a AUDIO_TS directory. why? Any thoughts / help?

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

So your issue is that your DVD player plays DVD-Rs, but not DVD-RWs?

5. specktor

specktor Member

Not quite - I am only using DVD-R.
    I downloaded a demo copy of GearPro - which looks good. It will read in MOST of a backupped DVD (made using smartripper) but not all - says that ther are not enough "sectors" (I assume the disk is to small for the film) However - when I play it in the player - it is jerky and the audio is not synchronised with the video - and the end of the movie was missing. (NOTE - even when I deleted all the non film VOB files (the so called "extras") it made no difference - it still only read in and recorded the same length of movie??????)
    I still have the problem with NERO / Smartripper. IE Smartripper does not create a AUDIO_TS directory when I think that it shoould and a DVD made with NERO in ISO/UDF format will not play - as Gear works I assume that I am doing something wrong in NERO when making the disk.
    I see why the big boys want to make it as hard as possible but all I am trying to do is back up my DVD movies that I made with ULead Movie factory - is there no way to simply copy DVDs!!!???
    Any thoughts, cheers?

6. erwinh22

erwinh22 Guest

Actually I have a question with regards to DVD-RW... if I close the disc, won't it prevent me from writing to it in the future? Or is it possible to re-open the disc to erase and rewrite? And if so, how is this accomplished with Nero?