1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy Will Not Play

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by wgoindy, Apr 9, 2005.

1. wgoindy

wgoindy Member

I am having a problem playing my backup discs. I have tried different guides (Scuba Pete and Mayo, and Sefy was another) media and software. I am using a Sony DRX710. When I copy and use Shrink to make a movie fit on 4.7G media it works and plays back fine. However, when trying to copy to 8.5G media the copy is successfull and recording will play on computers but will not play on a home theatre DVD player. Like I said, I have tried various software (Shrink, Decrypter, AnyDvd etc.) What could be causing the problem?

Thanks for any help/suggestions you can extend.

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

well i imagine you'r firmware's quite up to date as that's a pretty new drive. What do you use to burn with, ie have you a log of the burn. also what brand media you using. I guess there's not much to choose from in DL media at the moment so would hope it's decent media anyway. Could be you need to book type the discs if you're using +R format..

3. wgoindy

wgoindy Member

Firmware is up to date (based on other posts I did that and there was an update but it made no difference).
    Sorry no log of the burn.
    In the most recent case I used Decrypter to burn.
    Media was Verbatim DVD+R DL (my set-up does not seem to work with -R)

Tell me more about book typing the disc as I am using +R. I tried to burn with AnyDvd Nero comnbination and got the same problem someone suggested I "finalize" the disc but the option in Nero was greyed out and could not be activated.

Thanks

4. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

wgoindy,
    The problem I think is the player does not like the D/L Verbatims. Since they are the best out now I am at a loss as to why they are not working.
    If you can book type the DVD it tricks the player into thinking you have a DVD-Rom in the drive.

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i'm a bit rusty on finalise, but i think it's book type. Basically as you have a rebadged Liteon drive you should be able to google search for 'liteon book type' or similar (Liteon do their own util). I have an idea how it works but havn't done it as i only use -R discs. I just like to keep my knowledge current but it's pretty straightforward.

6. wgoindy

wgoindy Member

OK in Decrypter under "tools" - "Drive" there is an option to change book type. There are also tabs for the various drive manufacturers. Sony basically = LiteOn is that right? Any idea what the settings should be? What it shows now is:

Current Setting - Unknown

Change For - (there is a drop down menu with the following options):
    Current Media (for DVD+RW Media)
    Drive (for DVD+R/+R DL media)
    Drive (for DVD+RW media)
    Drive (for DVD+R/+R DL Media -EEPROM!)
    Drive (for DVD+RW Media - EEPROM!)

New Setting - Options
    Normal
    DVD-ROM
    DVD+RW

Thanks in advance for the help and support.

7. wgoindy

wgoindy Member

The answer to my problem.... New Home theatre DVD player. It seems that the lowest cost model from Radio Shack could care less about book type or finalization.