1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copyed film to hd, but film is 7.17, and my dvd-r is 4.7

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by babyalien, Mar 3, 2005.

1. babyalien

babyalien Member

hi, i decrypted a film to hd, and it size is 7.17gb, now i don't know why it is so large, is there software or a option in my software that could make it fit on to a, maxel dvd-r 4.7gb data.

it says there is not enough space, that is true, are'nt all dvd discs 4.7, then how was this film so large when i copyed it using dvd decrypter to hd, please help?

thankyou

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

3. brobear

brobear Guest

You are new obviously. And you haven't checked around much. By the way, that 4.7 disc only has a capacity of 4.37 GB. You need a transcoder program to shrink the large file to fit the smaller disc. DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink (both free) can be used for the entire process. DVD Decrypter works as a burner program as well as a decrypter/ripper. I'll add a little explanation of the backup process. Grab a coke and take your time.

Info for beginners: (I'll mention a few popular programs, but there are others of these types.)
    Backing up factory DVD movies has 3 basic steps and a few things to remember.
    The steps are:
    1)Decrypt/deCSS;
    One could add edit, but that isn't always necessary.
    2)Encode/Transcode (Fit to the target disc, shrink when necessary);
    3)Burn.

You can have one program that does it all, some programs do a couple of the steps and some only do one step or one step at a time.

Decrypting can be done with driver type decrypters like AnyDVD or with apps such as DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink.

DVD Decrypter is used to decrypt and rip files to the (HD) hard drive. If DVD Decrypter is going to be used as a burner, 2 important things have to be remembered.
    1)Use the ISO read mode to decrypt and
    2)the file size has to be below 4.37 (GB) gigabytes to fit on a DVD5 (4.7) disc.
    If the file is above 4.37GB, DVD Decrypter cannot burn the ISO file to a 4.7GB disc. [Note: 4.7 is a retail designation for a disc; the actual size of a 4.7 disc that a computer reads is 4.37GB.] File size is important to know. Dual layer media used with the new dual layer burners is a different story, Decrypter and Shrink work with DL (DVD9R) as well.

DVD Shrink can be used to decrypt and rip to the HD. Normally though, Shrink is used to decrypt a disc, using a temporary file, and transcoding the file in preparation to be burned. Nero isn't part of Shrink, but is the default app that Shrink uses to burn automatically. Shrink can also use DVD Decrypter in ISO burn mode and CopytoDVD can also be used. I suggest Nero, as DVD Shrink is already set to use it.

There are a number of transcoding programs, browsing the forums can get a lot of info on those. It's already been mentioned what they do. Just remember, simply speaking, this step is to prep the file for burning.

There are a number of apps on the market now. Due to laws, most of the popular recording programs now are trancoding and burning programs. These recording programs have to have a decrypter. With a driver type decrypter the program runs as though it was one of the older ripper programs that did everything. With the manual type decrypters the files are ripped to the HD and the file then has to be opened by the recording program.

Burner or recording programs are either incorporated into programs or are separate in recording suites. I mentioned Nero as it is a favorite on many forums and a favorite of mine. There are others. I find CopyToDVD to be a good choice as well. DVD Decrypter is a good freeware choice.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2005
  4. babyalien

babyalien Member

cheers guys ^_^ I downloaded shrink because it's free and i need to burn now.

I'll try to burn now, and later give my feedback or concerns.

sincerely
    ba

5. brobear

brobear Guest

If you use Ulead as the burner app, you'll have to create a folder to send your Shrink files to on the hard drive. Ulead isn't supported to burn automatically with Shrink. In the backup target selections you'll choose "Hard Disk Folder". Then enter the folder you created for the file as the target folder. Once you have the files transcoded (shrunk to about 4.35GB) with DVD Shrink and have them in the folder, you just do the burn with Ulead. One thing to remember is to set your burn speed to 4X. You can burn faster, but the possibility of burn errors increase with the higher burn speeds.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

By the way for easy to understand beginner guides, check out http://www.dvdshrink.info . Virtual guides with plenty of pictures and easy to follow.

7. babyalien

babyalien Member

I read the tutorial, and got a message saying dvd shrink encountered bla bla there is not enough space on your target drive etc.

i have already decrypted the film to hd, i was doing what the tutorial said, whats wrong do you guess?

8. babyalien

babyalien Member

just to clarify, I have decrypted it with dvd decypter, and now in shrink, i'm trying to backup, but it's saying i have not enough space.

if u have no ideas why, then please say, so i can act out something new, i don't want to do anything weird that may mess up my settings

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Don't get impatient. Sometimes people have to wait a while. Most of us just volunteer to answer questions on the forum and don't spend all our time on here.

You need to answer some questions about your PC. Answer all of them and as asked.

What is the processor (CPU) and speed?

How much RAM does the PC have?

How large is the hard drive and how much free space is available?

What brand and model PC are you using?

What is the operating system?

What is the drive configuration?

What brand and model burner are you using?

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

That sounds like the important one...

11. brobear

brobear Guest

I agree with you again BBmayo. LOL That's why I included that question. Don't worry BB, I know which to sift. I'm just needing a picture of what is being worked with here. Covering all the bases, I won't need to ask incidental questions later.

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Awww come on you know you love asking questions over and over and over and over.. I know I do.. NOT!!! LOL

13. brobear

brobear Guest

babyalien
    To use a question similar to your own; [bold]if you don't know the answers to the questions, please say so?[/bold] If you do, then answer all the questions I posted above, or as many as you can. As BBmayo noted, the size of the hard drive and amount of free space are important to know. 7.17GB is not an overly large task for DVD Shrink to handle. What was the compression level reading in Shrink, if you know?

14. babyalien

babyalien Member

I deleted the decrypted hd version, and put the film in the dvd rom, and then started all over again, and success was mine:)

it seems to have worked to well:)

thankyou guys, i love you

15. brobear

brobear Guest

It works either way. The files are the same. One thing you will run into is structural encryption on some of the new movies like The Forgotten, RE2, and Little Black Book; there are others. With AnyDVD you can do newer encrypted movies running the disc in the ROM. (The decryption program in Shrink is obsolete for the newer encryption.) Sometimes though, the files have to be run through the HD to prevent read problems. It just boils down to knowing when to do it. Or, if it doesn't work one way, try it another. That's how you learn.

Glad to see you got it going.