1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying a backup copy?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Juhnny, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Juhnny

Juhnny Member

If I already dvd shrinked and copied a movie to a dvd-r. Can I make a copy of that dvd-r using something like Nero or do I have to decrypt that dvd using DVD DECRYPTER then burn it?

2. danndee

danndee Member

I'm often one of the first to jump someone's a$$ for dumping on someone w/ a simple question like yours but here's the thing...

A. What you're trying to do, while perhaps completly legit, SCREAMS of legality issues...after all, you DO own the original right? (Yes I'm aware that something could happen to it leaving you only your backup - that you need to back up - but c'mon...)

B. Try it out you might just find that one way works consistently and the other will sometimes give you an error at the end and say it failed but then actually be fine other times it really failed...

Play around a little...it'll cost you a DVD or two and you'll know what works for your setup...

3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

With DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink, the copy protection is removed so you can make a backup with Nero (just copy the VIDEO_TS folder). Not the same for DVDXcopy where the copy protection is still intact on the backup copy (although you can use DVD Decrpyter on the DVDXCopy copy).
    As for legality issues, I think DVD Shrink and Decrypter already run into legal issues because they are removing a copy protection regardless of DVD owners rights to make backups.

4. danndee

danndee Member

I might be thinking of the wrong forum...

I thought it was here (but it might have been the XCopy one) that had a miriad of "dirty words" and tried to stay away form mentioning specific programs, movie titles, any references to copyrighted material etc.

No biggie...

In that case...I've found the most reliable way is to just run ot through shrink again...
    Nero works but will often either bomb out or say it did but still be good...
    Every so often you'll get a redundance check error w/ shrink though...haven't figured that one out yet.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

2 Things,

First, AFA this forum is concerned, we don't care if he is makinf 50 copies of a DVD that hasn't hit the threaters yet. Ask a Mod to point you to the rules.

Second, DVD Decrypter was made to copy copies AND any burning proggy is fine (Decrypter is FREE) Nero "Copy Disc" to copy on the fly" without having to write to the HD is good, CopyToDVD is about the fastest -.

Note: DVD XCopy doesn't leave the original copyright protection there BUT it cannot copy itself. Any other burning proggy can copy it without ripping it.

Cheers all, have a great Thanksgiving -

Pete

6. danndee

danndee Member

Thanks for correcting me Petey...but I already did...

Nero does work on the fly but I've had issues w/ it saying it failed and then being ok (or not)...

I just run it back through Shrink...being that it doesn't need any compression the second should be the same quality as the first...correct?

And while we're discussing... is deep analysis ... worth the time? I've never messed w/ it...

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

When I make a copy from a copy, I use DVD decrypter in the ISO mode, first Read, then Write.

No files are made nothing can get messed up, ever -

As far as using Deep Anylsis, I think it's a necissity for anything over 93% compression. It makes such a difference it's worth the extra time. I just finished "The Missing", it took 2 1/2 hours But it's so worth it -
    Cheers,

Pete

8. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Hey ScubaPete, I didn't know that DVDXCopy removes the copy protection entirely on the output DVD! I think I did remember seeing DVD Decrypter say 'no encryption' when I tried to "rip" my DVDXCopy copy. I've never had the need to make more than one copy, so I never tried this, but this is good to know. Thanks. :)

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

DVD XCopy won't let you copy one of their own discs but any other proggy can do it fast and clean -

I push DVD Decrypter because of it's price - :)