1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copying a copied dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Mike313, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Mike313

Mike313 Member

hey all im new to the site....been readin a lil and ive been usin dvd shrink combined with the nero burn engine to copy all my dvds.....i just have 1 problem ive come across.....i have no clue how to burn a dvd ive already copied.....ill make a copy using dvd shrink but then how would i copy that dvd if i were to want 2 copies of the dvd....should i just use nero?.....if so what function do i select?.....any help would be much appreciated

thanks
    mike

2. bluto1940

bluto1940 Guest

MIKE313
    To copy a movie you have already backed up use NERO and click on copy dvd.

3. Mike313

Mike313 Member

ok i try that and it starts analyzing the data and it got to 97% and then it said there was an error....it says it cant read it: it says "failed to read from file" and it has a DATA ERROR (cyclic redundancy check)....what's that mean and how do i fix that??

4. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Eeek. That means your disc towards the outer edge is unreadable. Usually happens if the disc is scratched or with cheap media. If you don't have any labels on the disc, I'd suggest rinsing it with COLD water and maybe a gentle soap. They say you should clean a disc by wiping from the center outward with just a cloth, but no matter how soft of a cloth I use (even CD cloths), it seems to leave even more scratches (which is why I just rinse it under the sink now. Just make sure you dry it well, especially around the center. You can also try putting it in the refrigerator before reading it. Don't know if it works, but heard about it, and I do it occasionally for scratched discs. Otherwise, they have CD/DVD repair kits which may help.
    Also, maybe you can run it through DVD Decrypter and in the settings, set it so that it skips bad sectors. Just a thought.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  5. wardair

wardair Member

just use decrypter and make an iso of the disc and then burn it with decrypter

also for scratched discs i use pledge (furniture polish)and wipe with a soft cloth works most of the time on scratched discs it fills in the scratches making the disc readable and lemony fresh

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey mike, This is another factor of using cheaper media. If you are going to copy one of your backup copies, High quality media is a must.If cleaning the disc did not help,you may have low quality media,whatever you are using or burned it too fast on the original backup.

You said you reached 97% and the crc errored out. The outside edge of the disc is where cheaper media has uneven dye.

On your future backups from dvd shrink, set your target to disc at abou 4300 -4360 mbs. This will keep it from burning the outside edge of disc.Go into dvd shrink,edit,preferences,click on target size to custom,4300mbs,ok.

On my verbatim +8x mcoo3 media,I have no trouble making copies from my backups using nero express,dvd rom drive and benq dvdrom-rw drive. Under 15 min.

Sensiible burn speed under 4x and High quality media if you plan on copying your backups..It also applies to your standalone playability.

Later

7. Mike313

Mike313 Member

well im usin memorex dvd-r's....isnt memorex a good quality dvd?....also i know the blank/burnt dvds arent scratched coz ive only had them for less than a week.....but from what i gather im burning too fast...im burning at 8x, as fast as the dvd will burn (the drive will burn 16x).....so ill try changing my settings in dvd shrink in the future and for now i guess ill just try n use dvd decryptor to copy the burnt dvds ive made so far......thanks for the help guys

Mike