1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying a DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ccohen, Jan 15, 2004.

1. ccohen

ccohen Member

I am new to DVD burning. What is the best way to copy a very small dvd? My dad has a promotional dvd for his company and wants me to copy like 15-20 for him instead of paying someone. It is 97.4 MB. Could you tell me how to do it step by step? I am pretty new at it. I have an external Sony DRX-510UL burner. The DVD burning programs I have are Roxio Easy CD and DVD Creator 6 and DVD XPress Copy X. I would probably think DVD XPress Copy X would be good but i don't want that cheesy copyright warning on it since this isnt a movie. Thank you for you help.

2. mfurj

mfurj Member

If their's no copyright protection on the original you should be able to make a straight up copy with either roxio or creator. Either burning program and select copy disc. If there is css on it try DVD Shrink. Works great price is even better. It's free.

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

ccohen, You might want to look into a mini dvd format. I know Nero 6 has it but not sure of Roxio. Mini dvd is a cd-r burned in dvd format.(you can use cheaper media). One thing to keep in mind about burned dvds(any format). They are not as compatable with all stand alone players as possibly commercial dvds your dad orders. They may not play in some players. Just something to think about. As stated by mfurj above, if its not copy protected, you could just do a straight copy.
    Jerry

4. ccohen

ccohen Member

There is no copy right protection on there. If I use Roxio 6 and want to do a straight disk copy, what do I choose? I open Roxio 6 and my choices are disk copy, audiocentral, dvd builder, photosuite and classic creator. I have only used Roxio 6 for CD burning so not familiar with using it for DVD burning. I have two burners, the above mentioned Sony DVD Burner and also an external CD-RW burner. If I read the above posts correctly, would I choose disk copy, use a cd-r (instead of DVD) and use my dvd burner and copy the DVD since it is only 97.4 MB and then play the CD-R in a dvd burner? Or would I just choose disk copy but use my DVD Burner and a DVD to copy it? Thanks for the help everyone it is much appreciated.

5. malum

malum Regular member

If you do put it on a DVD you might want to pad it out with some junk files so that it's bigger than 1GB or some standalone players will have trouble with it

6. ccohen

ccohen Member

Can i just use the copy function on Roxio 6, and copy the DVD on to a CD-R?

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Yes, you want the disc copy function. I'm not sure if that will work to read a dvd and burn a CD-R though. I never tried it that way. With the cheap cost of a CD-R it won't hurt to try.
    jerry

8. ccohen

ccohen Member

i just downloaded a demo version of Nero 6. Does anyone know if I can copy a non-copy righted DVD onto a CD-R? I am trying to make a copy of a DVD my father has for a business presentation. The file is only 99.7 MB so if i could copy it onto a CD-R it is much cheaper. Almost a same to waste a DVD for 99.7MB. Anyway, i have two external drives, one an external DVD burner and the second, an external CD burner. Thanks.

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi ccohen, Since you have the Nero demo, just fire it up and click disc copy starting with the dvd. When it asks for the blank, insert the blank CD-R in the dvd burner. It will either accept it or tell you its the wrong media. Can't hurt to try.
    Jerry