1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copying a less than 4.7GB movie

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by MetalWise, Feb 20, 2005.

1. MetalWise

MetalWise Member

1. i always copy just the main title and sometimes the deleted scenes. if what i want to copy is less than 4.7GB, dvd shrink will again compress it?

2. when i want to copy an already copied movie (sometimes with menus etc and some others just the main title), does dvd shrink again compress it?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

You can't fit 4.7 gigs on a standard dvd unless you use a dual-layer disc. A stand dvd-5 disc can only hold about 4.4 gigs or so after all the conversions.

Main movie only - most of the time these will fit on entire standard dvd disc with no compression.

You want to make another copy of your backup: After your first backup,that file will go onto your hard drive,I use create new folder on the first backup options settings.This will be your outgoing files after backup is made.This file is what you want to find to make another copy.

When you want to make another copy: Open up dvd shrink,click open files tab,and find that temporary file for that movie. Highlite it and click ok, it should open up that movie file and it should be the the same size as original copy so no compressing will not be needed.

The original backup copy is already encoded on your hard drive.If you used shrinks deep analysis,max smooth or sharpness features,these are already on the hard drive from your first copy. Just pull out your title,check settings,and hit ok to make another copy.

It will have to re-analyze, then burn. Mine takes 5 minutes to analyze and 15 minutes to burn at 4x.

Here's a few pointers to save you some trouble.

1)Set your backup target at 4360 mbs. Open up dvd shrink/edit/preferences< select backup target from dvd-5 to custom/enter 4360 and click ok. This can save some problems down the road,especially on problems on the outer edge of discs.

2) Don't burn that original backup too fast. I use 4x and have no trouble when I re-rip them.

3) Use high-quality media.This is the most critical part of dvd burning. The major problems can happen if you try to re-rip cheap,generic,and poor media.The poor crap has to be burned slower and still has a heck of a time to re-rip them. Get the good stuff like ty's,it'll save you a lot of problems down the road.

4)After using tips 1-3 and having no issues and a lot of practice: If you have nero express,you can use it's disc copy feature and save you about 5 minutes or so on another copy.

Any more ??? Come on back

3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

if it will fit on dvd-r, just use dvd decrypter in mode-iso-read, mode-iso-write.

4. kwhitley

kwhitley Member

agree with saugman - reality is that a std DVDR holds around 4.3/4.4 Gig and shribk will compress to this ration.

Once you have burnt it - even if you do not save to hard drive - recopying it will only then have 100% compression as the movie has already been compressed to fit on a DVD - hence no more compression is required.

5. joschez

joschez Regular member

This is what I did:

First, I had to use DVD Decrypter to make an iso image of my dvd that I had copy before with all the menus and audio features, then I used Alcohol %120 to burn the iso image.
    The whole movie was able to fit on a brand new DVD.

Now, the extrange thing was that the copy that I made was able to fit on half the size of the blank DVD. Extrange??? but it works. How? I don't know.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  6. MetalWise

MetalWise Member

thanks a lot guys, very usefull info.