1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying a registry?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by mzrani, Jan 29, 2007.

1. mzrani

mzrani Member

From my previous thread, I installed Windows on a new hard drive (c:) but all my programs and applications are on the old hard drive (f:).

Some applications won't work if I double-click on the icon.

Do I need to copy the registry from the old hard drive f: in order to use it properly on the new hard drive?

Or do I need to re-install all my programs?

2. bkf

bkf Guest

Reinstall programs. Just the way it works. A program install makes more then registry entries.

3. mzrani

mzrani Member

thanks, i'll have to set aside some time to re-install all my programs except some of the .exe files are in my folder on the old drive and it is currently locked (access denied).

4. bkf

bkf Guest

When you get the time we can try to unlock it.

5. mzrani

mzrani Member

thanks.

okay, i'm ready to try to "unlock' the folder.

first of all, what is puzzling is after the DSKCHK (disk check) ran a scan and deleted some bad sectors, I was able to get Windows up and running again but all my stuff "disappeared." Before the problem arose, there were 45 G left and after the hard drive was recovered, there was still 45 G left and yet my folder said 0 K and its empty - which means that even though it appears that my folder is empty, the hard drive still believes that everything which was in my folder still exist (otherwise, if my stuff was really deleted, the hard drive would show 80 G available and not 45 Gig).

Everyone else's folder including the shared documents were not affected. Only my folder (the admin's) was affected.

If my folder is not recoverable lets say even after a system restore, how do I delete the missing files to free up my hard drive?

6. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

its a bit late now, but this is why you should NEVER use the administrators account for day to day use....