1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying cd with different volume levels?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by mikehende, Apr 14, 2005.

1. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

I purchased the very expensive 10 volume set of the "Disco Classics Showcase" and then found that each cd has tracks with different volume and BASS levels so I have to keep adjusting the volume and Bass with certain tracks and this is a pain. I would like to copy back these cd's and make consistent with volume and bass, can anyone come up with an easy solution for this please? Thanks.

2. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

I haven't tried WavTrim but it's the same guy who did mp3trim so it prolly works well. One of the features of the free version is normalizing the volume of wav tracks.

http://www.mptrim.com/WavTrim.html

You just need to rip the CDs to wav files. You can get an excellent
    open source CD ripper here:

http://xtractor.sourceforge.net/

I've been using it for several years and it produces high quality mp3 or wav files. Also supports Ogg Vorbus stuff. Plus it's totally free.

So once you rip to wav, normalize the volume using WavTrim. Then just burn your audio CDs from the wav files.

If WavTrim doesn't do the job for you then you might try a commercial app like GoldWave.

3. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

oops, my mistake, sorry but I forgot to mention what is the main problem here. The cd's in question are DJ-Mixed or Beatmatched continuos music, meaning there are no spaces in between the songs so as far as I know using ANY ripper will rip this a just "1" file so I will lose the "tracking" info, this is what I was supposed to have posted here before moving on to normalizing the files.Any ideas anyone?

4. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

Nero has a check-box option before burning to "Normalize All Audio Tracks" and it scans every track beforehand and gives them equal volume.

5. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

Yes but still, don't I need to rip the cd unto the Hard Drive first? If Nero had this option when "copying" a cd then this would be the answer.

6. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

I guess you're right. I might try ripping to the hard drive in wave format.

7. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

Tried that already, don't make a difference as far as ripping and saving the track info goes. What I need is some way to add the normalisation while or before "copying" the cd, any ideas anyone?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  8. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

that's false, you could always burn the individual tracks without the pause and you'd never tell the difference from the originals.
    I'm not sure I understand. So you're listening to the cd and while it's playing you need to adjust the volumes and bass levels? If that is true it doesn't sound like very good production

9. arniebear

arniebear Active member

This is the easiest way I know and it is dependant on if you have Nero Program, and a cd/dvd reader drive and cd-r or dvd-r and cd-r burner. Open Nero Express put your audio disk in cd/dvd reader and add your tracks from this cd to compilation, put your blank disk in your burner, check normalize all tracks, and hit burn. If you are trying to edit tracks, try something like, Nero Wave Editor, or Nero Sound Traxx or Sound Forge, these will allow you to do what you want.

10. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

Arniebear, thanks a million for this option, got to go just 1 step further now, 2 things please:

1]The cd's were also recorded with very low "Bass", what's the easiest way for me to add more bass?

2]Also, one thing that's been bugging me for a very long time now, isn't there a "standard" for commercial cd's as far as "frequencies" go? Meaning that all commercial cd's have the same Bass or overall frequency or level? If so, how can I determine mainly the "Bass" level so I can add that same level to these cd's?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2005
  11. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Your getting into editing/remixing, etc. a little over my non-DJ head. If you are thinking of adding more bass then you might try Nero Wave Editor, it will allow you to add effects. I have used Sound Forge and like this program. With either Nero Wave Editor or Nero Sound Traxx rip your cd to hardrive, and start playing with it to see what kind of effects you can get, or want. I have done this with cd's with low volume to increase it for backup. As for standardization of cd's I do not know, it is all up to who mixes and what the artist thinks best. In Nero you can also right click on your added file and change the equalizer effects of the cd before you burn it, try this option it has worked great for me.

12. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

arniebear, yes, the eq section in Nero looks good [thanks], I think I will try the "Basslift" for these cd's but I'd just like to ask this question please, if I wanted to make those cd's have specifically "80"hz of Bass, can I do so with Nero?

13. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

If you're getting into editing the wav tracks then you might try GoldWave as I mentioned. http://www.goldwave.com/features.php

I've only used it for simple things like fading in and fading out at the beginning and end of tracks etc. but I'm sure you can do quite a bit with it. I'm not sure how the new version 5 is but I know you can pretty much use 4.26 free if you're willing to restart the app now and then(it counts how many "operations" you do and makes you restart after a certain number but you don't lose your work.) In any case you can try it out and see if it's for you.

14. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

I used Goldwave in the past and it's a really good software but it is not for "everything" and I did try it for this purpose and was not satisfied which is why I would prefer Nero if it's possible becuase of "simplicity".

15. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

Cool. So far my experience with Nero makes me narrow my usage to the Burning Rom and if possible, use other apps to get an image I want then just burn with Nero. About the only thing that seems to work as expected AFA encoding goes is .avi to mpeg1 when you burn a vcd.
    And even then you have to switch to "Image Recorder" because if you get an error during the burn the entire encoding gets discarded. That's really annoying!

Anything else seems to have a fly in the ointment. Then again I'm not one for spending 3 months learning to use a piece of software. I like to use a GUI that makes things intuitive. Seems like every time I try something like Nero Express it won't do what I want and I end up using something like VCDEasy to get an .iso image, then just burn with Nero.

Whatever works is good. :)

16. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

I've had this project on hold since my last post here and I am now ready to proceed but I can't find the "Eq" in Nero anymore, I looked all over the place and can't come up with it to choose the options before I copying the cd in question, I opened up the cd copying software and can't find it, help anyone? Thanks.

17. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

Oh, sorry guys, the intructions are in Arniebear's post above, thanks.