1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying copied DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by gatordan, Dec 11, 2004.

1. gatordan

gatordan Member

Been making dvds since april and now I want to make copies of these dvds as Christmas gifts and i'll be damned if i cant make it work! Used DVD Shrink / Nero combination for almost all of them originally. In the past week I have tried using Nero, DVD Decrypter (errors it cant get past), DVD Shrink with straight coping, DVD Fab (stops at around 30%), Clone2DVD, 1ClickDVD and DVD Cloner - none of them will get the job done - they all stop at some point while ripping the dvds I have. I have tried to copy 3 dvds now with a variety of these programs and nothing works.
    Now, I only use name brand media and always burn slower than max speed as that seemed to help so the dvds should be good to copy from. The videos I have look good viewing and have barely been used. what the heck am I missing here?

thanks for any help--

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Nero's disc copy won't work? What brand of media did you use for the first backup?

3. camstuf

camstuf Guest

4. gatordan

gatordan Member

questions to both:

i only use name brand DVD - memorex, tdks mostly for burning dvds to

I will try anydvd program tonight and hopefully it will do the job - i just suspect there is something deeper wrong than simply switching programs

thanks for your help so far - any other hints?

5. jpc00

jpc00 Guest

I have a question for you, because I had the same problem. Do you have seperate DVD drives that you use for your "Source" and "Target"? If so I might have a solution. The problem might be that one drive might fully recognize the media (since it wrote it) and the other one doesn't.

I also use TDKs and if you are using 2 DVD drives in copying the original and also for copying the copy this might be the problem.

If any of this sounds familiar let me know and I might be able to help.

JPC

6. jpc00

jpc00 Guest

Thank you to the mod who deleted my double post :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2004
  7. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

AnyDVD will not help. You are trying to copy a backup. The backup already has the copy protection removed.

Answer this!! Have you tried using Nero's disc copy? The other thing you might try is to rip with DVD Decrypter. Rip in ISO mode, then burn the ISO with DVD Decrypter.

I ask about media because, if you use crappy media then the drive will not be able to rip the backup(the source disk) properly .... most of the time you will get a crc error. In Decrypter you might want to check "Ignore Read Errors".

If the source cannot be ripped, then you will not be able to backup. I have no problems backing up a backup using Nero's disc copy or DVD Decrypter.

8. jpc00

jpc00 Guest

As flip218 said:

Are you using the same drive now as your "source" that you did to burn the original copy? If not could be a conflict/compatibility issue with your source drive and media. Try using NERO Disc Copy and put the source in the same drive that you used to burn it with.

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Don't be fooled by the Memorex name on blank media. It has a 50% failure rate at this time. Pretty much junk media since Memorex is buying from CMC MAG at present time. That's part of your problem.

Jerry

10. kwhitley

kwhitley Member

I have had no problems copying my copied DVDs.

I used shrink to read the copied movie and then backed it up and burnt it dorect using Nero.

Have done this to a number of DVDs including Troy, Last Samurai, Lion King and all have worked 100%.

11. roc386

roc386 Member

Try using Sonic Recordnow to backup your DVD copies, its a simple one click exact copy program.

12. LeoLeroy

LeoLeroy Member

Personally, I prefer DVD Decrypter and Roxio Disc Copier. Never had a problem copying copies. Guess it's just personal preference.

Memorex DVDs are manufactured by several companies and some are junk. Fortunately, my batch of 100 Memorex DVD+Rs were manufactured by Ricoh. I suggest staying away from Memorex unless you KNOW who actually manufactured them.

DVD Identifier (available at http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/) will let you know who manufactured them.

13. gatordan

gatordan Member

WOW!
    thanks for all the suggestions and information

i have not had a chance to REALLY look into this further as I am

divorced and had my son this weekend but damn it i love this site and

the help you can get so easily

first of all, thanks for the information about memorex dvds- who the

hell can you really trust then???!!!

I got dvd anywhere but have not had a chance to try it yet

From jpc00 "I have a question for you, because I had the same problem.

Do you have seperate DVD drives that you use for your "Source" and

"Target"? If so I might have a solution. The problem might be that one

drive might fully recognize the media (since it wrote it) and the other

one doesn't."---------------> i am using a diff dvd burner than when i

burned them but i dont have the older one on this computer anymore -

it's on a secondary computer - hmm, will try to rip them on that

computer and see what happens tonight

to flip 218 - thanks, i realized this but was trying anything to solve the problem - i have tried nero's disc copy and dvd decrypter (i tried 'ignore disc errors' also)

thanks for all help - i will try burning using the original writer and the two other programs that were mentioned - THANKS

14. gatordan

gatordan Member

Here is my dvd decrypter log to anyone who can interpret - it made it to 41% of ripping the copy i had made on the original dvd writer - once again thanks for any help:

I 19:14:59 DVD Decrypter Version 3.5.1.0 started!
    I 19:14:59 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)
    I 19:14:59 Initialising SPTI...
    I 19:14:59 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
    I 19:15:20 Found 2 DVD-ROMs and 1 DVD±RW!
    I 19:15:50 Operation Started!
    I 19:15:50 Source Device: [0:1:0] GENERIC DVD RW 8XMax 130I (D:) (ATA)
    I 19:15:50 Source Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: CMC MAG-F01-00)
    I 19:15:50 Source Media Region Code: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
    I 19:15:50 Source Copyright Protection System Type: None
    I 19:15:50 Destination File: C:\DOWNLOADS\HIDALGO.ISO
    I 19:15:51 File Splitting: Auto
    I 19:15:51 Detect Mastering Errors: No
    I 19:15:51 Remove Macrovision Protection: Yes
    I 19:15:51 Extracting Sectors... (LBA: 0 - 2281055)
    I 19:15:51 Found IFO File: VIDEO_TS.IFO - (LBA: 295 - 305)
    I 19:15:51 Found VOB File: VIDEO_TS.VOB - (LBA: 306 - 7452) - KEY: N/A
    I 19:15:54 Found BUP File: VIDEO_TS.BUP - (LBA: 7453 - 7463)
    I 19:15:54 Found IFO File: VTS_01_0.IFO - (LBA: 7464 - 7510)
    I 19:15:54 Found VOB File: VTS_01_0.VOB - (LBA: 7511 - 34836) - KEY: N/A
    I 19:16:05 Found VOB File: VTS_01_1.VOB - (LBA: 34837 - 559123) - KEY: N/A
    I 19:19:08 Found VOB File: VTS_01_2.VOB - (LBA: 559124 - 1083410) - KEY: N/A
    E 19:24:16 Failed to read Sector 946848 - No Seek Complete
    E 19:24:16 Failed to Extract Sectors!
    E 19:24:16 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:08:26
    E 19:24:16 Average Read Rate: 3,742 KB/s (2.7x) - Maximum Read Rate: 8,255 KB/s (6.0x)

15. jpc00

jpc00 Guest

Hey Gatorman - You need help from flip218, ScubPete, or bbmayo. It seems to me that maybe your drive is not reading your backed-up disc correctly, or else it is scratched, dirty,etc.

You seem to have read some of the disk, but ran into a problem midway through. I am a newbie also, but it sounds to me like either your drive/software doesn't like your disc or you are using the software incorrectly.

I have made many "copies of copies" using the method flip218 described. If you have the original DVD try to copy it again on high quality blank media and then try to re-copy it and see if it works using one of the previously mentioned methods. If not, post back. If it works post back anyway, to let us know.

16. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

If you read half way down your log it shows Source media type---Disc ID CMC-MAG. Thats one of the junk ones I was telling you about. It has the Memorex name on it but Memorex doesn't make it. One of the biggest problems with this media is it will burn, then may only play once or twice before all types of errors show up. Shelf life after burned may only be 6 months or less.

Jerry

17. vyper0

vyper0 Member

I have the same problem with Nero. It won't copy my backups created with dvd shrink. I use Alcohol 120% to copy my copies.