1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copying data files from hard drive to a dvd-r

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mr.purple, Oct 27, 2004.

1. mr.purple

mr.purple Member

Hi, can someone please explain to me, possibly step by step, how to copy existing data that I have on my hard drive (mp3,mpegs,jpegs, word and text files)onto a dvd-r. I want to clear up my hard drive. Thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what burning program are you using & are you using dvdr or dvdr-w

3. mr.purple

mr.purple Member

I'm using nero 6, and i'm using dvd+r, I've tried 3 times,and all 3 times I get these errors "PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108 Could not perform end of Disc-at-once" and this one as well "Burn process failed at 4X(5,520 kb/s"

4. forkndave

forkndave Member

I had this problem once with some crappy discs that I had. Neither Nero or DVD Decrypter would burn the lead out. I tried Record Now Max and they would burn O.K., however they were still crappy discs. Fortunately, my set top Panasonic DVD Burner seemed to think they were O.K., so I managed to use them in that. Your problem probably is that your burner doesn't like the discs you are trying to use.

5. mr.purple

mr.purple Member

hmm, interesting, I'll try another type of dvd's. Someone mentioned to me, possibly try burning an image of all my files first, then burning that, because some dvd players flake out at the end when there is small files to burn ? Have you heard of this ?

6. forkndave

forkndave Member

I haven't heard of any problem with small files. I recently backed up all of my old Napster downloads which I had to put on two DVDs without a problem. If you want to try Record Now DX (just about the same thing as Record Now Max), you can download a 30 day trial version here: http://www.orlogix.com/prodinfo.php?pn=rndx .
    I notice all of the prices are in Euros, so I'm not sure if you can buy it if you don't live in Europe. At least you can download it and try it and see if it will burn the discs that you have. There are several sites on the internet that do sell it. It used to be made by Stomp and then Veritas and now Orlogix. If you want to put MP3s on a DVD, just copy them as data.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Soyo KT-600 Ultra Platinum, XP 3000+, 1024 MB PC 3200
    160 GB Maxtor SATA, 250 GB Maxtor SATA
    Lite-On LDW 411S@811S, Lite-On SOHD 167T, Pioneer A07
    GF FX 5600 Ultra[/small]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  7. mr.purple

mr.purple Member

thanks for all your help, i'll give it a try, a friend of mine recommended I try another brand of dvd disc as well, or possibly try a dvd-rw, or another software program, but will take all you've given me so far and give it a try today, thanks again,

8. mr.purple

mr.purple Member

so frustrating, I tried the above, and still does'nt work, still getting those same error messages, i'm ready to return this dvd burner I just bought 4 days ago

9. Molder

Molder Regular member

Try upgrading your firmware.

10. motopro

motopro Member

i too am having trouble burning my data files on my dvd-r media. i dont get any of those error messages, it burns successfully, by my DVD-ROM drive wont read the cd at all, it says the disc is corrupt. how do i burn my backup files from my hard drive to a blank dvd media?

btw, im using nero 6 ultra.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  11. Kingd

Kingd Guest

motopro: If your burner recognizes the media, but not the dvd-rom drive, then its a media compatability issue. As you may or may not know, dvd+r and dvd-r are not the same format. Since you aren't getting errors, then its a good bet that your dvd-rom just doesn't recognize whatever disks you are using. Find out what kind of dvd-rom it is and google it.

12. motopro

motopro Member

my burner doesn't recognize it either. i just tried to put in, and it acts as though the disk is blank. but it isn't becase i can see where the burn ended on the bottom of the disc

13. Kingd

Kingd Guest

How bout media. Make sure you use good quality media. When shopping in the store, look for brands made in Japan. It's a bit more expensive but worth it.