1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying DVD and having copy's volume lower than original

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Skax, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Skax

Skax Member

I've just finished converting some home video VHS tapes to DVD and the sound is way too loud. I know I should have decreased the volume when capturing (found out it was too loud too late) and can't be bothered capturing it all again. I want to make a back up copy of it so was wondering if there is any program available which will simply decrease the volume on the copy I plan to make without having to seperate the audio from the video file? I think if I have to do that I'll have to re-do the chapter editing, cutting of frames etc? No sure so correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

2. Skax

Skax Member

So no available proggies which can copy a DVD and decrease volume at the same time?

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I don't believe it's possible to lower the level of the audio without demuxing. If you don't want to demux it yourself, any program that did it for you would still have to do it, and I doubt such a program exists because it's not something that many people want.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
  4. Skax

Skax Member

Well I finally managed to suss out a relatively easy way of doing it. I used "dvd audio extractor" to pull out the audio from my created dvd and created some wav files. There are 3 tracks on the dvd so I created 3 wav files.

I then used sound forge to decrease the volume of the wav files and used those files in TMPGEenc dvd author to re-author it with the dvd video. I burned the DVD, put it in the player and the sound was way lower. Sweet! Well... so I thought. Thing is now the audio which is at the beginning of the dvd repeats itself at the start of each new chapter. The wav files themselves play the audio correctly though. Anyone have any ideas what is going on here?

I didn't want to have to re-author it with the avi files as the dvd consists of about 106 small avi files and it would have taken forever (again)

Any help appreciated