1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying DVD movies?

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by St.Anger, Apr 27, 2005.

1. St.Anger

St.Anger Guest

Being new to this, what in your opinion is the best way to copy a DVD Movie? My friend uses DVD Clone and AnyDVD in the background to copy his DVD's. He played me Ray and it looked like the quality was pretty good. I guess keep in mind quality vs. time. I don't want to spend days doing it but want a good quality DVD. An suggestions would be apppreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

There are lots of different opinions on which software to use. Do a search of these forums, try all of the software mentioned int the various posts, and your own eyes will be the judge of which is best suited for you.

3. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Hi, try using the free programs DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink before you decide to buy any programs, just to see how everything works. There are guides available in my sig by Scuba Pete and bbmayo which will show you the process, also read through the newbie thread this will give a lot of information and sites to go to.

4. permatex

permatex Regular member

for simplisity try anydvd and 1-click dvd copy

5. elizerroj

elizerroj Regular member

anydvd and 1click is a good advice. because of how simple r they to use. i know that some desagree, but 1click dvd is easy, fast, simple and outputs very good quality.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

@ elizerroj,

Actually 1-Click DVD Copy quality sucks. Anything-over 82% and the quality isn't any better than a commercial VHS.

You will achieve better quality with DVD Shrink & DVD Decrypter (for free) OR CloneDVD2, DVD2One OR Recode2 by Nero PLUS you will have some control over what you're doing with your backup unlike 1-Click version 4.1 which gives you only 2 choices - with extras or without.

(Kind of like, "Ya want fries with that ?" at BK)

A large drawback, you cannot keep the DVD files on your HD to watch or copy again later. Kind of sad for a program that costs $60.00 but doesn't work right unless you add another $40.00 (AnyDVD) to the mix. You can buy a lot of DVD discs for $100.00 (USD)

The opinion from someone who has a dozen proggys to compare it too.

Cheers,

Hi there St.Anger, welcome to aD,

As was stated before, try DVD Shrink / Decrypter in my sig and you'll have a great backup in an hour - you'll learn some stuff (assuming you know nothing about DVD backup now), you'll have fun AND you'll keep you $$$$ in your pocket for something better.

Checkbook and knowledge not required, check it out -

Pete

7. permatex

permatex Regular member

i still say i-click and anydvd is a good combination if you want the movie without the extra garbage and why would you want to keep a movie on your hard drive for a later burn when you can copy a copy you already have.copying movies to the hard drive for later burns takes up a lot of valuable hard drive space if you don't have a large hard drive in the range of 80 to 120 gig.

8. elizerroj

elizerroj Regular member

hi scubapete. i wouldn't know about 1clickdvd at 82% compression. because the most copression i allow without, using rebuilder/hc encoder, is 10%. so botton line at 10% compression or less i use nero recode2 or shrink. and with more than 10% compression i use rebuilder- pro v.88 with hc encoder. i used to use 1clickdvd at my burning beguinnings and it always gave me a fast and quality copies. by the way, i only do main movie only.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

elizerroj,

You seem to have misunderstood me. When one compresses at 82%, that usually means that 18% of the DVD wouldn't fit on the disc. So that you don't continue to misconstrue my comments, your recipes are good and I myself use those same programs BUT I couldn't conceive of attempting to compress 90% of a movie into 10% of a disc. BUT I do have to take up sides when someone touts a program without doing any comparisons.

The one thing that I will agree on is that 1-Click is indeed simple. As to its quality, I see nothing there that says, Encoding control, Deep Analysis or the like. I have a difficult time believing that you, who used Rebuilder OR Recode can speak of 1-Click in the same sentence.

Try doing "Gooddfellows" with 1-Click - I have, and the results aren't anything to "brag about" and certainly cannot be considered "Good" by any stretch of the imagination.

permatex,

I'm so sorry to hear that your PC has such limited space AND I can see where you would expect everyone to do things your way. It may "crush" you to hear that there are a lot of pple who store DVD's on their HD. It isn't even close to being a rarity.

A suggestion, if you are so cramped that you've hardly any HD space, consider an external drive - they're all the rage now - (funny how your sarcasm can come back to bite ya – Huh ?)

Here are the programs I've compared it too, Care to comment intelligently ?

1. AnyDVD + 1Click DVDCopy (Average MM, to poor, full disc)
    2. AnyDVD or DVD43 + CloneDVD2 (elby)(Average Full to good, MM)
    3. AnyDVD + ClonerII (otherwise known as a modified Shrink ver 1.7) Poor
    4. AnyDVD + DVDCopy2 (InterVideo - fast w/ excellent quality)
    5. AnyDVD or DVD43 + DVD2One + CopyToDVD (Excellent quality)
    6. AnyDVD + DVDFab (Free) (1:1 copy with a 2/1 split disc)
    7. AnyDVD + dvd Santa (Average, MM to Poor, Full disc)
    8. AnyDVD or DVD43 + Nero Recode 2 (Re-author) Good +
    9. DVD Shrink (ver 3.2) + CopyToDVD (w/quality) Average to good
    10. DVD Shrink (ver. 3.2) ISO mode + DVD Decrypter, ISO write mode (Good +)
    11. DVD Shrink (ver 3.2) + Nero (ver 6.6, Ultra Edition) (average to good)
    12. DVD XCopy Platinum 4.0.4.15 (RF using the "321RIP" patch) Average MM to poor Full disc
    DVD XCopy Xpress (Pre RF versions) (ver. 2.5.1, 3.0, 3.2.1) + "Gone321" patch)

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  10. elizerroj

elizerroj Regular member

oh no scubapete i did underestood your point, i know that when you siad 82% compression, it means that 18% of the disc won't fit on the dvdr.100%-82%=18%. my point was that even at 82% which is consider a low compression, i would not use 1clickdvd. once again at 90%(10% won't fit on disc)i use recode or shrink, and bellow 90%, i use rebuilder. i can see why you thought i misunderestood you. it was foult. C.U