1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying DVD-RAM to DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ken0042, Jul 8, 2003.

1. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

OK, just to give you all some background info in case you aren't familiar with what I'm using......

I've been burning DVD-R's on the computer for some time now, using primarily DVDdecrypter, DVD2one and then RecordNow; or DVDshrink and RecordNow. I've probably backed up 100-150 discs with no serious issues.

I've now purchased the Panasonic DMR-E50 stand alone DVD recorder. It works pretty much like a VCR, except it uses DVD's rather than tapes. The two formats it allows me to record to are DVD-R and DVD-RAM. DVD-RAM works very much the same way as DVD-RW in that the disc can be erased and re-recorded to.

So far so good, right? Well the one thing I would like to do is take discs I've made in the stand alone recorder, then re-author them on the computer. The only problem is if I use DVD-R discs, I end up wasting a disc. And the DVD-RAM discs aren't read the same way as DVD-R's.

Has anybody seen software that allows copying from DVD-RAM to DVD-R? Or point me to a thread in this or another forum? I've done several searches and have come up with nothing.

Thanks everybody!

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Depending on the writer on your computer, you can read the DVD-RAM, extract the files you want and convert them (if needed) and burn to DVD-R. There shouldnt be a problem. You need to convert them to mpeg2 VOB's if you want them to play on a standalone. Depending on the file format, i think its just DVD-RAM, you may be able to use TMPGEnc DVD Author to Re-Author.

You have me intrigued now. Im going to go off and do a bit of research. Will let you know how i get on

Chris

3. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Thanks Chris.

I just tried TMPGEnc and it tells me the file is not supported. The file is a .vro file, and it does play in Windows Media Player.

I appreciate your help!

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Ken I have two DVD Drives , one being the Pioneer DVD-RW DVR 104 & the other being a Lite-On 165H DVD-Rom
    My burner doesnt support RAM but my Lite-On does...
    I dont know , but would you be able to do a copy on-the-fly using an image [just in case of IDE setting] ?

On this subject tho , I am just blowing smoke rings in the dark : )
    [bold]LOL[/bold]

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

this is what my burner can read?

[​IMG]

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

What firmware you using. I think Gradius is working on a new DVR106 firmware at the min that may address the RAM reading issue

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi as far as i know its what come with the drivE!

as in picture 1.05?

is there a site for the firmware?

thx...

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I dont think there is one yet, but i did read that Gradius was working on a firmware to unlock to RCP 1 (ie multi-regional) and to enable higher transfer speeds, as well as the possibility of reading DVD RAM.
    However, cartridge RAM will not work in these drives.

Apart from this i cant reall help you.

Chris

P.S. Did u see some Junior called DrD tried to pretend we were banned. lol

9. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I saw that, Chris. Too funny. Almost had me going for a sec.

Now while my stand alone DVD recorder does take the RAM cartridges, the ones I have are just regular 5 inch discs; so the do work in my LG burner.

The other odd thing, to get the LG burner to read these discs, I had to install a seperate DVD RAM driver, which then forced the computer to re-boot 3 times. Now the DVD RAM discs are read on a different drive letter (my burner is F, the new drive letter is H) and it shows up as a removable drive; sorta like how a Zip drive shows up.

It's too bad the RAM discs are so incompatable. A good example of where this is a problem happened the other night. ABC had a special on the Space Shuttle, and I taped it. It turned out to be very well done, and now I'd like to copy it. Looks like I'm going to have to drag my computer out into the living room, connect it to the DVD recorder, play the RAM disc in Media Player, and re-record it.

10. sidoh

sidoh Member

I have been using a stand-alone Panasonic E-30 recorder for almost a year. I record most TV programs temporarily onto DVD-RAM disks. Sometime I want to transfer one of the TV programs onto a permanent DVD-R. I bought a Panasonic PLAYER (DVD-82) that plays all DVDs and DVD-RAM disks, hooked it into my E-30 recorder, and shazaam, the transfers have been fantastic. No problems.

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

My friend has his set up like this.

Mini PC connected to DVD RAM (they are £399 and consists of a 1/4 size case). He has a 140GB HDD in it. He records everything from the DVDRAM Recorder onto this HDD that he wants to keep. Whenever it gets full, (he plugs an 8" TFT into it to see £199) he simply disconnects it from the Recorder and carry's it too his PC, where he burns it on to DVD-R using Pioneer A04.

It's a nice set up.

Chris

12. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Your right, it does sound like a nice set up. The only thing is I was hoping for a solution that will cost me less than the DVD recorder. (lol) The recorder was under £399.

I may try sidoh's solution and by another Panasonic DVD player that plays DVD-RAM. They have a model that sells for less than £90. (I love how inexpensive everything seems when I conver dollars to pounds.) The only issue with doing that is when I'm doing VHS to DVD transfers for people. (Weddings, etc.) I have to use DVD2one to strip off the anoying menu the Panasonic recorder puts on.

I appreciate everybody's input on this matter. Thanks!
    Ken