1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying DVD to DivX problem

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by ssantiago, Apr 30, 2004.

1. ssantiago

ssantiago Member

I've been trying to follow the instructions in the guide, step-by-step,but have hit a snag I can't get around. I downloaded all the tools, no problem, and got through to the CDEx section which is where I encountered the hiccup. After selecting theproper settings in theoptions menu I go to convert from WAV-MPEG. When the window opens I check the directories where the files are supposed to be but....nothing. I thought it might be the mentioned v1.5x glitch so I downloaded 1.4 but still have the same problem. What am I doing wrong?

2. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Did you place the file in the same directory as the .WAV file? If you did, the resulting file would be the WAV-riff, because it keeps the same name. Try it again and see if the file is around 100 MB for movies that are 100 minutes. The bit-rate should be 160 Kbps on the Status bar at the bottom of the window if you place it from the View menu. L8ter.

3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

CDex was created to extract Audio CDs to MP3s so it has a complex 'Artist - Track.mp3' default filesaving structure, it has probably hidden your audio file buried in subdirectories \artist\album\track or something like that.
    Always use Q=0 to encode. I have had excellent results with LAME 3.95.1 but it is slow; I have not yet tried the new 3.96 because there is some controversy about it.
    If you encode CBR MP3 with RIFF wav header, plain old VDub will happily interleave it...
    Your file's gotta be there somewhere! Hope this helps,
    Regards

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Yes of course you must specify different directory or RIFF WAV MP3 will overwrite your WAV file! But like buddy says it will be 120MB or whatever, not 1.3GB...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]IT Technician BSc MCSA
    XP2500+Barton 512MB PC3200[/small]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2004
  5. ssantiago

ssantiago Member

OK, bear with me. I'm new at this. (My first attempt at copying anything - new computer) I'm going to list what I've done, exactly, up to the point that I hit a brick wall.
    * Created new folder - My Rips
    * Copied VOB files to "My Rips" using Smartriper
    * Using DVD2AVI, selected first ripped VOB file
    * Previewed first frame, committed necessary values to paper
    * Selected language track, made necessary changes to audio settings
    * Created new folder - DVD2AVI Projects
    * Saved project in folder as SPR.d2v (Saving Private Ryan)
    * Opened VFAPI, clicked 'Add Job', selected SPR.d2v, checked both vid out boxes, clicked OK, selected RUN, closed
    * Used DVTool to determine ideal bitrate (809)
    * Opened CDEx, made necessary changes to settings, according to guide.
    OK, here's my problem. The guide says, "Also, remember to change the directory where CDEx creates the output files" What do I change them to? I tried creating a new folder - RIFF-Wav - but, when I go convert, no files show in the window and I can't find them in any of the other directories that I created or anywhere else for that matter. What am I doing wrong? Am I missing a step? I am thoroughly confused and exasperated. Please help (in retard speak) as the King's English is clearly too advanced for me.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2004
  6. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

You have to change the directory from the settings tab inside the options menu. If you really can't decide where to put it or you just don't know, just put directly onto one of your hard drives and see if it shows up. I would just like to say that, maybe for some people too, that CDex is a really good program to make MP3s. I have used many programs, but this was the easiest to configure and the results were ab-fab. La8ter.

7. DivXRip04

DivXRip04 Member

Hey,

I am also new to this and my first attempt stuffed up, 8 hrs of waiting only to find it didn't encode properly, anyway my fault, live and learn.

Based on what you said in your first post it sounds like you have the same problem I had. I followed the guide and also got stuck with this, the problem was that DVD2AVI was not decoding the audio to a .wav file, it was actually ripping the audio in AC3 format, this is why you don't see any .wav files in CDex, check in the directory for a .ac3 file, if it is there then you need to download Ac3Tool and convert the AC3 to .wav, the only thing I found was that the audio was very quite, you may need to adjust some of the settings in Ac3Tool to get it a bit louder.

Hope this helps.

8. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

CDex is great for making MP3 or RIFF WAV (which is MP3 with info header).
    If you have AC3, I use BeSweet (Azid) with 'Normalize to 100%' setting, this does two-pass audio rip and generates uncompressed WAV file normalized to 0db. I will use 'Heavy compression' for action/adventure film with much gunfire/sirens/explosions. The digital dynamic range in excess of 120db is too much for most residential settings, and quiet moments incl. dialogue may be inaudible.
    Once you have a WAV (1.0-1.5GB) you are ready for CDex.
    If you make a RIFF WAV, obviously there is danger to overwrite filenames. CDex comes preset to maintain directory structure of record albums and will make subdirectories unasked-for (ie. \MyMusic\LedZeppelin\PhysicalGraffiti\LedZeppelin - Kashmir.mp3
    So if you are ripping film WAVs with CDex you must be aware. Also for CBR MP3 try to use at least 160kbs and set Q=0 (takes longer, top-quality).
    Dunno how this fits in with your guide; I use GordianKnot but not for audio, I do the audio manually.
    L8R