1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying DVDs and not being able to see the hard coded subtitles...

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by vladtepes3176, Nov 19, 2010.

1. vladtepes3176

vladtepes3176 Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I am downloading Staxrip now. I will try out a rip and see how it goes. Thanks again.

2. vladtepes3176

vladtepes3176 Member

Hi, I followed your two suggestions.

First searched for the 0.9.3 of Handbrake which wasn't easy to find since they don't support it any-longer, which is a shame because it's a very nice version though doesn't have the "preview" function of the newer version, but does support Xvid output which is nice. But I found it and downloaded it from this link:http://www.tucows.com/download.html?software_id=607243&t=2

I tried and was successful in making an Xvid rip of the film that burned into the rip the forced subtitles for the Romanian Speaking parts of the film. So that's great!

Then I downloaded version: StaxRip 1.1.6.0. (the recent stable version) I spent about six hours going over a tutorial for StaxRip which was good, however written in 2006. It can be viewed at this link:http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/staxrip_h264_print.html

So I went through the entire process of getting ready to rip to Xvid with StaxRip, figuring out the changes and differences with the newer release of the program which differed to the tutorial of the older version. However I can find nothing about including "forced Subtitles" into the rip. I looked for a more up to date tutorial and found nothing. I read at this link:http://iaudiophile.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-6873.html that there was an option under the "Tools" button to "add forced subtitles" in StaxRip but this thread was also from 2006 and the button in StaxRip 1.1.6.0 does not exist.

I went through the entire program and could find nothing. I am obviously very new to the program but I can find no feature as in Handbrake that lets you hard-code forced subs into a rip.
    Are you familiar with Staxrip and might be able to advise me?

Thank you

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  3. vladtepes3176

vladtepes3176 Member

I did find an up to date tutorial on Staxrip here: http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides/dvdrip/243-how-to-rip-dvd-to-h264-xvid-using-staxrip

I followed it exactly but still could not get subtitles for a rip.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  4. Chetwood

Chetwood Regular member

Wait, you have done it successfully with Handbrake but still wanna do it again with Staxrip?

5. vladtepes3176

vladtepes3176 Member

Hi, I thought you might say that. Yes I was successful with Handbrake using the older version you suggested to output an Xvid that hard-coded the forced subs I wanted. Just all over the net people RAVE about Staxrip, but so far, I don't see a way for me to get those forced subs hard-coded into a rip. I am sure it's possible, but at this point I have no idea. Since you suggested Staxrip, and I had never heard of it before, I just thought you might know something about the program. But I guess I should just be happy with what I have. Thanks for all your help.

6. Chetwood

Chetwood Regular member

Staxrip has been suggested to me a while ago but since I'm quite happy with AutoGK I never bothered to investigate. And if you think Handbrake's output is fine just stick with it. A friend of mine has the Dracula RC2 DVD and as it turns out that when romanian is spoken the english sub is hardcoded and the german sub contains all items including forced.

7. vladtepes3176

vladtepes3176 Member

Hi,
    The "Bram Stoker's Dracula Collector's Edition" I have is R1. I checked all the subtitles on the DVD for "forced subtitles" as I read on the AutoGK Official tutorial I followed for getting "forced subs" hard-coded onto a rip, that they are often hidden as you mentioned under false labeled subtitles streams, like for example the German subs of your friend's RC2 copy.

But before making my rip I used DVDSUBEDIT to check for "forced subtitles" on ALL the subtitles streams on the DVD. (all the languages not just English Letterbox and English wide bitmaps.)

But on this DVD the only forced subs, and the ones I was looking for, the English subs for the Romanian Spoken dialog of the film, were in both the "English Letterbox and English Wide" Subtitle streams. The window in DVDSUBEDIT shows the details and they are flagged as "Forced" so when making the rip with hand brake I just selected the foreign Sub pull down menu, and choose the "English Letter Box" checked "Show forced subtitles" and they were hard-coded into the rip.

I first made a successful rip with the newest version of Handbrake with the forced subs hard-coded into the rip, for just the Romanian speaking parts of the film to an Mp4. Then following your advise I found the older version of Handbrake that supported Xvid output and was again successful in making a rip with the forced subs hard-coded into the rip.

This was not possible with AutoGK as I mentioned before. I am still not sure why it failed but it did. I was always happy as you were with AutoGK and never had any problems with it until this DVD. I do know for a fact that the older DVD release of this film, which was issued in 1997 (amazon:http://www.amazon.com/Bram-Stokers-Dracula-Gary-Oldman/dp/0800177177/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1291475512&sr=8-4) features subs that are hard-coded for the Romanian speaking parts.

I download a lot and when I started noticing the Bram Stoker's Dracula BR and Collector's Edition torrents I of course downloaded them, three of them from three famous sources, for uploading torrent releases. Neither of these three rips I downloaded featured the English Subs for the Romanian Spoken dialog, which is a key element of the entire film!

So I bought the Collector's Edition myself and ran into the same problem when trying to rip it. That's when I started this thread and you gave me the advise to rip with DVDFAB in main movie mode, then use shrink and so on. Then I made a proper rip with the forced subs hard-coded into the final rip.
    Thanks

8. Chetwood

Chetwood Regular member

I've sent you a private message, please check it out by clicking on your nick and selecting private message from there. Seems a bit hidden away on this forum software...

9. Vaughn122

Vaughn122 Guest

Just wanted to throw this out there. I just stumbled upon this forum after having troubles myself with ripping dvds to file with the forced subs. I have finally been able to successfully rip some fairly recent titles with only the forced subs included. I tried two different programs with success. The first program I would try is WinX DVD Ripper Platinum,available by torrent. This program is very easy to use. All you have to to is select the dvd,choose the destination folder,disable the subtitle option shown on the main screen,and press start.If you enable subtitles it will show all through the movie. The other program that works is Aimersoft Dvd Ripper. Its part of the dvd studio pack which I would recommend. This program will actually disable the subtitle feature automatically with most movies while keeping the forced subs. So all you have to do is load and go.
    I hope some of this is use full.

10. vladtepes3176

vladtepes3176 Member

Yeah, they sound brilliant! I will try to find at torrent of WinX DVD ripper Platinum now. I will look for the other dvd studio pack as well. I was hoping to find an "all-in-one" fix for this problem. It is really a pain staking issue. Thanks