1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying DVDs using a DVD recorder

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by LMBarrows, Feb 16, 2005.

1. LMBarrows

LMBarrows Member

I just bought an Emerson EWR10D4 today. The manual says it will not record copy-protected DVDs. If I set up my old DVD player as an external source, will the new recorder be able to record copy-protected material?

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Nope!! In fact you wont even be able to watch another DVD player threw your New DVD player.

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Your setup will work if you use an inline encryption remover. Here is a link to one device. I haven't used it so read and see if you think its worth the money.

http://www.dimax.com.ua.

I have read that it works well but as I stated before I haven't used it myself.

Don't forget that some movies need compressed to fit a blank dvd which you can't do that way. You might fit movie only that way.

Jerry

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  4. LMBarrows

LMBarrows Member

Well, I guess I'll just return the darn thing. Luckily, I only got the manual out of box so far. If I go with a DVD burner, is there a way to copy my VHS tapes and home movies?

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

A stand alone DVD player will compress the DVD just like the VCR they have EP, SP, & LP formats allowing you to fit the whole DVD, but you will not get menu functions or anything as you are only recording what is going threw the recorder. I am curious if thet device works with DVD recorders (encryption remover) does anyone know if it works?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

@bbmayo, I linked that device to a member about 4 months ago. He did order it and got back to me and said it worked well. I can't remember who it was at this point. I have a hard time remembering what happened yesterday. Thats why I said I had no direct experience with the RED device. I do know that the macrovision remover box I built about 10 years ago will let me record from my dvd player to VHS tape with excellent quality on the tape. Playback of the tape almost looks like the dvd is playing.

Jerry

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah I have an old one laying around here somewhere for when I was backing up VCR to VCR I think it is the same? I'm going to look for it and give it a try.

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

My guess is if it works going into a VCR it should work going into a dvd recorder. I don't have a stand alone dvd recorder to test it on.

Jerry