1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copying from crappy/defected cds

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jellyink, Dec 18, 2004.

1. jellyink

jellyink Member

If you copy a dvd movie from an already burned disk that doesn't work well on the DVD player becasue of quality or scratches, is it possible to copy it onto a good DVD disk without errors or glitching that is seen on the disk?

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Your copy will only be as good as the source it's copied from. In other words, if you make a copy of crap, you are the proud owner of two pieces of crap.

3. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

Would it be possible though (it probably aint) if the DVD was only suffering from light surface scratches that you could rip it to hard drive or another disc at a really slow speed and hope it doesnt skip at that point?

Like say on a DVD in a certain place sometimes it will skip and sometimes it wont.....

My daughters "Sooty" DVD has taken a right hammering so was thinking of trying this myself

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello WelshBoa, You got a scratched disc? Check out this site: http://singclean.com/skipdr.htm I just placed my order and read bbmayo's post how it effectively repaired his discs. You guys having trouble backing up scratched dvd's, You may be able to use dvd decrypter and put the settings on rip with brute force and ignore read errors. Sometimes it works. Later

5. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

While we're on the subject, has anyone tried putting an unreadable DVD disc in the refrigerator (not freezer as I imagine that would crack it) right before reading the disc in a player? I had several DVDs that were badly scratched and before I copied them, decided to try it. Haven't had a bad read yet, so now I do it out of habit for scratched DVDs. ;) Is this a myth? BTW, I heard toothpaste rubbed over scratched areas also works.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

OR you could try to, Begin by playing your DVD with your PC’s player. Play for two or three minutes then open your DVD Shrink, DVD X Copy or your weapon of choice - as soon as you begin your rip turn off your player so it doesn’t interfere. The playing before hand is only so that your ripping program can “Find” your DVD.

HOT TIPS for your POOR MEDIA:

!. This is a bit "wacky" BUT it has worked for some pple. Rebooting your PC (cleaning out all the memory) allows some discs to be seen better - As I said, it can't hurt and it's worth a try –

2. Here's a good fix. Compress your DVD to somewhere around 4.3GB instead of the recommended 4360MB. I.e., Go into DVD Shrink, "Edit", "Preferences" then set the "DVD Target Size" to "Custom" and enter 4300MB as the size. Reducing the amount of Data to be burned it keeps your burning away from the disc's edges where the dye on poor quality DVD discs tends to be uneven and may even be brittle and flaking.

3. You may reduce the number of errors and "artifacts" (the "freezing", "skipping" and other picture abnormalities) when burning poor media by burning at a reduced speed. It has been my experience that burning at 2.4X will succeed where faster burns will not. Don't be surprised if you have to burn at 1X. Some discs you're lucky to have it burn DVD Video at all. It will take longer but what the heck, you're saving money with those "Cheap" discs, who cares about time when you're saving $$$$ (Lol). Since you're compressing more it might be wise to burn just the movie, the less you burn the better the quality sooo, movie only, please.

4. The "Magic cleaning" technique: Try cleaning your DVD discs. Yea, I know they're new and clean but do it anyway. Do it a few seconds before inserting it into your DVD tray, use a disc cleaner, eyeglass cleaning solution or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and a soft cotton cloth and rub-a-dub, dub. As soon as you're finished, "Pop" it into your DVD tray and fire up your program. You would be surprised how many times your disc is now "seen" :)

OR,

"Dr. ScubaPete's, too cheap to buy the professional stuff, Recipe Book for Scratch Repair."

To help with those small "Kiddie Scratches" on your DVD's -

TO BE USED AS A FINAL RESORT to retrieve scratched DVD's.

Materials needed:
    A soft cotton cloth
    Toothpaste w/Borax (Arm & Hammer may be added)
    (Brasso metal polish may be used as a substitute for toothpaste)
    Isopropanol Alcohol
    Pledge
    Glass
    Ice
    Orange Juice and Vodka

Method: "If this doesn't work it's into the "Circular File" (an Americanism meaning "The Garbage can") with you -

START:
    1. Place the disc on a firm soft surface.
    2.Apply a small amount of toothpaste with a small amount of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda to a clean, soft cotton cloth and apply to your DVD. Rubbing very firmly in even strokes from the center outwards towards the edge. Repeat 10 to 15 times. Do this over the entire disc turning the disc slowly in a circular manner, always going from the inside to the outer edge.

When Finished –
    3. clean it either with a commercial unit (available at "Radio Shack" OR your local electronics store) OR clean the disc thoroughly with a clean cotton cloth moistened with Isopropanol Alcohol, Contact lens cleaner OR in a bind, you may use some Windex (Windex has some additives, coloring and the like). Clean by using a firm even rubbing motion from the center outwards towards the edgeClean the disc thoroughly with a clean cotton cloth moistened with Isopropanol Alcohol, Contact lens cleaner OR in a bind use some Windex, using a firm even rubbing motion from the center outwards towards the edge.

NEXT:
    Using a clean piece of cotton cloth, apply Pledge to the entire disc in the same manner as the toothpaste was applied above.

Attempt to play disc.
    If the disc refuses to play, take 1 large 12oz. glass, add just 3 Ice cubes, too many ice cubes will "water down" the mixture rendering it unsuitable for usage, then add 70% Orange Juice and 30% Vodka. The contents are to be shaken, NOT STIRED. The glass's contents are to be liberally applied internally.

Steps 2 through 5 may be repeated as required to recover disc.

After 2 complete passes, step 5. may be repeated PRN. (PRN is medical lingo for "As needed" OR "Whenever you want.) :p)

Attempt to play disc.
    If the disc refuses to play, take 1 large 12oz. glass, add just 3 Ice cubes, too many ice cubes will "water down" the mixture rendering it unsuitable for usage, then add 70% Orange Juice and 30% Vodka. The contents are to be shaken, NOT STIRED. The glass's contents are to be liberally applied internally.

Steps 2 through 5 may be repeated as required to recover disc.

After 2 complete passes, step 5. may be repeated PRN. (PRN is medical lingo for "As needed" OR "Whenever you want.) :p)

See what works - Ya never know . . . .

Pete

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey dogbomb, I tried the refrigerator on 2 of my defective jenna discs, no good. Same error,same spot,same crap, different day-lol Next trial,toothpaste,vodka and orange juice. Later

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

saugmon,

It's starting to lQQk like you should take a short trip to "BlockBuster" to get one that isn't in such poor shape -

SEASON'S GREETINGS,

Pete

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

tried the toothpaste, same crap. Well pete it is down to the last resort. Break out the vodka and oj.I'll drink one for you chap, lol ! Guess i will wait for that skip dr That bbmayo was bragging about. Jenna needs saved.No block buster's around, Happy holidays

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

saugmon,

Heh, heh, You were supposed to do the Vodka and OJ WHILE you were doing the scratch removal, that way if it didn't work - you wouldn't feel so bad - :)

Happy Holidays to you too

Peace,

Pete