1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying Hard Drive to ANother Hard Drive HELP!!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by trini22, Jan 20, 2007.

1. trini22

trini22 Guest

i bought a new 250GB WEstern Digital Hard drive i was wondering if i could transfer everything from my old western digitial 120Gb drive including the operating system and all programs..files..basically everything over to the new drive....

Does anybody know if this is possible...and if there are tutorials or programs i could use.... i Have this Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools and its has an option for drive to drive copy but im not sure if will transfer every

Im trying to transfer everything over so that i can use the 250GB hard drive as my main drive...so i dont have to reinstall everything...HELP NEEDED

If you need a better explnation just post any questions THANKS

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

you'll have to create at least two partitions, at least as fare as i know: one for the 120 GB drive you have now, and then one for he 130 gigs remaining. you can used a program like Casper XP to do it (worked well for me), but you'll probably have to reactivate windows after you do it.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

don't need to re-activate windows as i haven't when using norton ghost to clone 1 drive to another that is going to be the new c: drive.

4. t-loader

t-loader Member

Hi ive just done the same change over but with seagate 250gb, all general progs just moved, operating system ghosted to new drive, everything works fine good luck

5. trini22

trini22 Guest

you used Norton Ghost right..the "COPY MY HARD DRIVE" option

was your hard drive partitioned

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2007
  6. trini22

trini22 Guest

hey buddy...my hard drive is partioned...is there any different way i must transfer it over with Norton Ghost..and do you know of any tutorial just to guide me

Thanks man

7. Hablis

Hablis Member

Trini22

try using Acronis.Migrate.Easy it is the easiest too use without to much intruction.

good luck.

Hablis

8. ireland

ireland Active member

Its cheaper then ghost and does a better job,it will ghost ye hard drive in a heart beat.when i got it it cost 39 dollars..

i also use norton ghost 2003 it will back up in dos...

Acronis True Image 10 Home

Backing up is easy to do!

Acronis True Image 10 Home creates the exact copy of your hard disk and allows you to instantly restore the entire machine including operating system, applications, and all the data in the event of a fatal system crash or virus attack — no reinstallations required!

With the new version you also can easily back up your music, video, and digital photos, as well as Outlook e-mails, contacts, calendar, tasks, and user settings with just a few mouse clicks!

* Copy your entire PC, including the operating system, applications, user settings, and all data using our patented disk imaging technology.
    * Backup your music, video, and digital photos!
    * Backup your Outlook e-mails, contacts, calendar, tasks, notes, signatures, news folders, e-mail rules and user settings with just a few mouse clicks!
    * Restore all the settings for Microsoft Office, iTunes, Windows Media Player and dozens of popular applications!

GO HERE TO READ MORE
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

9. t-loader

t-loader Member

HI sorry about delay replying, yes i used norton ghost, i did have a partition but i removed it after progs had been moved.

10. quitt

quitt Member

I just wanted to say that I purchased a 250GB western Digital HDD 7200 RPM 8MB Cache back in the summer of 2006,and it came with a Data LifeGuard Tool's software,wich let's you format,tranfer any of your pc file from HDD to HDD,and also let's you copy/transfer your whole operating system,from old drive to new drive!Plus more,you might wanna consider on checking the store you bought your 250GB HDD,and see if they have this software and was it suppose to be included with your new HDD!