1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COPYING HOMEMADE DVD'S TO COMPUTER

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by atwtbb, Jan 18, 2007.

1. atwtbb

atwtbb Member

I've made 3 DVD's of short things such as old promos, and opening sequences from some soap operas, as well as local tv station bumpers etc- and what I want to do is to save the entire dvd contents onto my laptop and then to convert the files to windows media format so that I can then edit them with Windows Movie Maker.

I've downloaded and used every piece of software I can find- but nothing has helped- part of the content is there but not all of it. I'd really appreciate some assistance. I know this is possible or how else would youtube have all the great old footage they've got- and I would like to get these converted so I can proceed going through other old tapes- cause they're really piling up.

Thank You for Your Assistance in This Matter.
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hi.

One post to one forum will generally do the trick. The mods get irritated with multiple posts since they result in people responding to problems in more than one thread with lots of repeats, etc. Plus it be against the forum rules. :) I'll ask them to close the other thread in the Newbie forum.

Any number of applications ought to be able to extract the DVD files from your DVDs. What programs are you using to do so? If some of the content is extracted the rest should be there as well. If you just want to pull off the mpeg2 files themselves to your hard disk, try using ISOBuster.

http://www.isobuster.com

We'll be glad to provide further help if you can add some additional detail to help us see the problem.

Have you tried opening the files in DVD Shrink (free). It has a player that will allow you to view the titles on the disk.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_dvdshrink/
  4. atwtbb

atwtbb Member

I've used shrink decrypter and everything.

What happens is I can get part of the VOB files when I not more than a minute and some of the dvd's have 50 files on them. And one program I tried was only showing 2 video files.

THIS MESSAGE APPEARS ON DECRYPTER: W 12:13:17 Sector 28082 - Pack Header Not Found (0x05000200)

i want something free to download and I do need some help.

The reason I posted twice is because I noticed that I should have posted in newbee- sorry.
  5. donewell

donewell Regular member

Just a passing thought. Make sure some of your video vob's do not have the same numbers, like vts_01_1.vob If they do they will just keep writting over top of one another.
    Don't know if this is your problem or not. I know i had a problem like this before
  6. atwtbb

atwtbb Member

NOT SURE IF THEY DO- I WANT TO COPY ONE DVD AT A TIME- EDIT IT SAVE THE INDIVIDUAL SEGMENTS AS WMV FILES AND I REALLY NEED THE RIGHT SOFTWARE BECAUSE WHAT I'M USING (DECRYPTER, SHRINK, AND Cole2k Media - DVD Rip Pack) AND EACH OF THESE ONLY DECRYPTS PART OF THE VIDEOS- MAYBE 1 MINUTE OR LESS. SOMETIMES THE MENU WITH THE CHAPTER PICS IS LISTED AS THE ENTIRE VIDEO.
  7. donewell

donewell Regular member

You might try this!
    Copy your vob files off of the dvd, then chnge the file endings to .mpg or .mpeg from vob. Then import them to windows movie maker. I have done it before on vob's some times it works sometimes it doesn't. try with one file and see what happens, you can't mess anything up you still have the dvd
  8. atwtbb

atwtbb Member

won't work because the VOB doesn't contain all of the dvd files. I want to find away to save the entire DVD to my computer.
  9. donewell

donewell Regular member

Can't you just put dvd in your drive , then open windows explorer, make a new file , then drag and copy files off dvd to the folder?
    Or copy and paste what ever you like.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  10. atwtbb

atwtbb Member

Re-Read this intire thread and see if you have any suggestions
  11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

How did you "make" these DVD's in the first place? This could help.
  12. atwtbb

atwtbb Member

I've got an RCA combo VCR/DVD Player/Recorder
  13. donewell

donewell Regular member

I understand your fustation, but what i'm trying to say is you don't need any software to put the dvd on your hard drive. Just copy and paste to a file then work on it.
    Sorry if i haven't been any help, I tried!! I will back out and see if someone else. Good luck
  14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

atwdbd,

Did you finalize these DVD's on the standalone before trying to copy them on your computer? Also are these RW DVD's?
  15. atwtbb

atwtbb Member

I'll assume by standalone you mean the DVD Recorder attached to tv. Yes I've finalized them and watched at least 1 of them. And They are DVD-R not RW does that matter?
  16. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

I think I see part of the problem. That RCA recorder if it's like mine, creates a somewhat nonstandard DVD that DVD Shrink/DVD Decrypter will not open and rip. I use TMPGEnc Author to read, edit, and reauthor the disk created by my standalone recorder. Try version 1.6. It has a 30-day fully functional free trial. The newest version does not.

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tda16.html
  17. atwtbb

atwtbb Member

how much is the full version?
  18. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

I believe TMPGEnc Author 2 is $89 downloaded. You should be able to finish your work in 30 days though, correct? :) Version 1.6 is more than adequate for most projects.
  19. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Nero Vision Express (NVE) will also handle those DVD's, but as stated earlier you are going to have no luck with the programs you are trying to use.
  20. atwtbb

atwtbb Member

thanks for all your help.
  21. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

No problem please let us know how it works out for you and good luck!

Cheers