1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying mini dvd discs to regular dvd-r

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mikekirby, Dec 14, 2004.

1. mikekirby

mikekirby Member

Hi everyone

I'm having real problems with this one. I've got a Sony DVD DCR 201E camcorder, a new computer with 160 GB hard drive, Pixela ImageMixer software that came with the 201E and Nero 6.

When I save the video footage to my hard drive directly from the camcorder using the software, it saves ok and plays back with picture and sound from the hard drive using either media player, real player, quick time etc. However, when I burn it onto a DVD-RW using Nero, only the picture plays back (on both the computer and my dvd player). No sound whatsoever. What am I doing wrong? Is it possible to burn with sound?

I'm running out of ideas. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Try not to get too technical though coz I'm a newbie. Laymans terms if poss.

Mike.

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Dear Mike,
    I have the same camcorder, so I'm obliged to give some suggestions! *_*
    What I would usually do is to put the mini disc into the burner (after all, that's why we bought this model, right?), and use ImageMixer to extract the video clips to the harddisk. The resulting video clips would be in mpeg format. Then in Nero StartSmart, choose 'make your own DVD video', click 'add video files', find and paste the mpegs one by one, then follow the lead to complete the whole compilation. You may also create a slide show of the still pictures and put it in the same compilation. Needless to say, you can also create other audio and visual effects too.
    Why not try this method and tell us how it goes?

3. mikekirby

mikekirby Member

Thanks very much for your reply. Unfortunately it hasn't worked. I did exactly as you said. Mini disc in drive (I have a combo drive, if it makes any difference); open ImageMixer; read files; Movie Maker; drag scene to bottom; save to pc using mpeg 2 and PAL option; open Nero StartSmart; 'make your own DVD video'; add video files which were saved as 'mpeg / audio stream'; then follow the burn prompts to a successful burn. But there is no sound on the playback. Just before the final burn prompt a window pops up and reminds me that I might need a DVD-video plug in? It says that this contains an 'mpeg 2/DVD De-/Encoder' but that computers bought from retailers should have it installed! Mine is a brand new Fujitsu Scaleo P machine from PC World. The other thing is that I am obviously trying to burn the video to DVD-RW. I presume this is correct? Last night I tried to burn some of the files to CD-RW...and it burned successfully with both picture and sound!! I'm really confused.

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Did you use Windows Movie Maker? But that was quite unnecessary. Try run ImageMixer, select 'capture', choose 'movie files', click 'USB' on the left. A box would pop up and say 'camera not recognized, do you want to wait...'. Click 'cancel', and ImageMixer would begin capturing files from the DVD drive to its 'Capture' folder as mpegs. Nero can then burn them.
    If this still doesn't work, you probably really don't have the necessary codecs installed. In that case, try here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

Be sure to install at least the Full Version.

Good luck!

5. mikekirby

mikekirby Member

Hi,

Thanks again for the advice. I did as you said and downloaded the codecs...but that hasn't worked either. I also saved the clips to my pc without going into MovieMaker and that went ok too, but still the resulting dvd has no sound, although it plays with sound from the hard drive. I'm running out of ideas and I guess you are too. What about the window that pops up telling me I need a 'DVD-video plug in' containing 'mpeg 2/DVD De-/Encoder'. Have you heard of that? If so, any idea where I can get a trial download from instead of paying $23 just on the off chance?

As usual, any suggestions are appreciated and thanks for your help.

Mike.

6. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

If you have installed the codecs (full-version), then there is no reason for a codec problem anymore. Would it be Nero, then? Try use another program to burn the mpegs (e.g. DVDSanta) and see it that works.
    Good luck!

7. mikekirby

mikekirby Member

Hello again,

Thanks for your continued patience. As you suggested I've tried using DVD Santa and...success. It worked. Both sound and picture. However, the next problem is that the sound and picture is out of sync by about 3 or 4 seconds. I'll have a look at doing something about it, but if this is a common problem that you know the answer to, I would appreciate any advice (as usual)!

Thanks for all your help. Mike.

8. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Well, if you can do it with DVDSanta, then much of the problem is solved. DVDSanta is simple to use, but some people have reported the sync problem. But let's not worry about it for the time being.
    First of all, if you still have Nero, try COMPLETELY uninstall and reinstall it, and try burning some mpegs with it. I suspect there is something wrong with the installation which has been causing the problem. Use a RW for the test, of course. If it still doesn't work, then forget about Nero.
    Secondly, many programs can burn mpegs as DVD. As a matter of fact, ImageMixer can do it. So you may want to try using it for the burning to see if the results are any good. If you still have the sync problem, then maybe you should shop around for a burning program that can let you adjust the audio and video sync.
    But try the above first and let us know if you need further assistance.
    Good luck!

9. larson621

larson621 Member

I've stumbled upon this thread as it seems to relate to the problem I've got. I'm also a newbie who was attempting to create a DVD from our Sony video camera. I successfully created the mpeg files using Imagemixer, but when I tried to burn them to a DVD-R using Nero 6, I couldn't get it to work. When I tried to add the files to the compilation, it was looking for "image" files that did not include the mpeg extension. At one point I was able to drag the files over but the "burn" button would not highlight. I tried to look at the Nero help and it seems there could be a problem with mpegs? Can anyone help?

10. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Dear larson621,
    If you had read and followed the suggestions re. Nero and it still doesn't work, my advice would still be try use another software (e.g. DVDSanta) to see how it goes.
    BTW, you guys are really shaking my confidence in Nero. I've always thought that it's the best we got.
    *_*

11. larson621

larson621 Member

My fix was to use TMPGEnc to change the resolution and then their DVD Author product to burn the images to DVD. The process of changing the resolution took forever though - about 4 times the length of the actual video clips.

12. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

DVDSanta is simpler and much faster (about length of actual clip), if it works.