1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying problems, please help

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by yanksno1, Apr 28, 2004.

1. yanksno1

yanksno1 Member

First my specs: Gateway P4 1.5/512MB Memory/60GB HD/Plextor 708A DVD burner. I've tried using 4 different programs and am still experiencing copying problems. I'm going to ask some questions I'm hoping to get some help with, so I'd appreciate some feedback. Here are my questions/problems:

1.) I've used DVD Xcopy Gold 3.04 and when I try to copy a DVD using Xpress, I get the following errors: "Cannot write Archive.txt" and "UnableCreateVOB". I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and that didn't help. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

2.) Since I can't get Xpress working right now I've tried using DVD Decrypter 3.2.2.0 and DVD Shrink 3.14. When I try copying the movie directly using Shrink it takes like 3 1/2 hours plus. It works fine, it just takes a really long time to copy it. I've also tried using Decrypter and to just decrypt it, it takes like around an hour to just decrypyt it. Then it takes another 2 hours to shrink it using Shrink.

Now I've tried using the programs on other PCs (it is a faster P4 2.4ghz CPU) and it doesn't take nearly as long to copy. Most of the time it takes around an 1hr to 1hr - 20min or so to copy the entire disc. So I'm asking, is it my PC on why it is taking so long to copy the disc?

If you can help me with my questions about dvd xcopy and dvd shrink and decrypter I'd greatly appreciate it.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2004
  2. RWG

RWG Regular member

If you're using Deep Analysis in Shrink it'll take a lot longer than normal. Try just doing a straight backup.

As for your computer - you have enough horse power. Depending on the compression level my AMD 2200+ (1.8GHz) would only take 30-40 minutes at the most and usually backup a Main Movie in 20 minutes.

luck-

3. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi yanksno1
    Check your DMA settings on the drive's IDE channel. Windows has a habit of switching to PIO mode after read errors. See for details http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx
    See also this link for similar discussions and solutions http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/78814
    I have been having switching to PIO problem recently as I convert my CDs to MP3. When my read times go up I know its time to check the settings and restore the system to DMA
    I hope this helps

4. yanksno1

yanksno1 Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did change the setting on Shrink so it was off the multi-tasking option. It didn't seem to make much of a difference aftwards. I did switch the 2nd IDE Channel from PIO mode to DMA If Available mode so I'll have to see if that makes a difference. Haven't tested it yet so I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the tips.

Anyone have any ideas on the DVD Xpress errors?

5. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member