1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying PS2 games

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by sloof70, Feb 5, 2005.

1. sloof70

sloof70 Member

Ok, so maybe I'm lazy but there's like a finity of threads here so I don't want to search to find the one I need. I want to back up my PS2 games on DVDs, and have actual copies because I have siblings that scratch my discs and not enough HD space to backup all my games. Can you just simply make a copy of the PS2 disc onto a DVD, and if so, will that work in the PS2?

2. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

PS2 games are actually pressed DVD/CD discs, they are not burned. PS2 games use the Burst Cutting Area (BCA) of the disc to identify themselves to the PS2 unit. The BCA is not part of a disc that you can burn on, it is only replicated on pressed discs.
    So, the only way to play backups is to get boot-discs or a mod-chip.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/15105

3. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

i have a scph-50001 ps2 and have a flip top with swap magic 3.3 and swap magic dvd2.0, was wondering why some of my backed up PS2 games will not read. I use Ridata 4x dvd +r's. Some work fine for some reason and other dont. Heres what i mean, it will get to the swap disc screen with the swap 3.3, and then when i put in my backed up game it will tell me it is not a valid PS2 disc. But others boot right into the game. Can anyone help me as to why this is happening?? Any input and suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2005
  4. sloof70

sloof70 Member

So I copy the game onto any regular DVD, buy a boot disc, and then, when I need it, I can play the game any time by just putting the BD in first?

5. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  6. RaynotRoy

RaynotRoy Member

I HIGHLY recommend a flip-top, it makes your life SO much easier.

7. sloof70

sloof70 Member

I have the new PS2, if that's what you mean. Do I have to modify it at all for the Redesign?