1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying "The Replacements"

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by mdmania, Dec 10, 2003.

1. mdmania

mdmania Member

Folks,
    I used DVD X Copy Platinum, DVD Clone with AnyDVD, DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink and none of this has been able to copy the The Replacements movie. BTW, the disc is Region 1 and my DVD-R (Sony 510A)is Region 2. But shouldn't the AnyDVD by pass this limitation?
    Thanks!

mdmania

2. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Region 1 and region 2 are not only differentiated by region code, but also by video standard.

Region 1 is NTSC and region 2 is PAL. This means that the DVD you are trying to backup is not formatted properly to play on your TV -> the resolution and framerates are different. In this case, the original should not play on your standalone either (even if it is region free).

The only way to get around it is to reencode all of the video content to meet PAL specifications. I use Canopus Procoder to do this pretty easily, but it can be done with freeware tools also. Head over to www.dvdrhelp.com to find guides on the process.

Good luck...

3. mdmania

mdmania Member

Region 1 is NTSC and region 2 is PAL. This means that the DVD you are trying to backup is not formatted properly to play on your TV -> the resolution and framerates are different. In this case, the original should not play on your standalone either (even if it is region free).

*****I don't exactly know what you are talking about. But I am able to play the DVD original to my DVD player standalone without any problem. The problem that I am having was copying it.

4. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Sorry,

Since your burner is region 2 I assumed that you live in the UK or Europe, which uses the PAL video system. However, a little checking and I realized that region 2 includes one NTSC zone: Japan.

Are you getting some kind of error message when you try to rip the movie? Or does everything seem to go smoothly except that when you pop it in the standalone it won't play?

5. mdmania

mdmania Member

Firs of all I lived in the US. And about the disc, I got it from the Library nearby where I lived and it was kind of in a bad condition such as scratched. So what I did was rented the "Replacements" see if I can copy this disc.
    Sure enough that I was able to copy it using
    DVD-X Copy Platinum. The thing that I don't like about the result of the copy was that it has some sort of line in the background of the movie across the screen as if it looks a wave.
    I don't know if it has something to do with the compression. If I remember right, when I ran the disc through DVD-X advanced mode, the compression was up to 64%. So maybe that might have to do something with it. Tonight I'm going to try to copy this with DVDClone and see what is the result. I might take off a few title set, will see.