1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copying VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by ffray, Nov 12, 2004.

1. ffray

ffray Member

Am I in the right forum?
    I've been reading the forums and the more I read the more confused I get. I need to convert VHS tapes (family and "store bought") to DVD. I know I need a DVD burner, video enhancer to take out the Macrovision, video capture(?), and a vcr, and a P4 PC (?). What do I buy and how do I hook it up. I can't be the only "middle aged lady" who needs to know this info. I'm sure other people would like to know the same thing. Do I have to go through the computer? Do I need DVD authoring software (ie DVD Movie Factory 2.1 SE) if I don't use the PC? Is it better to go through the PC?
    I need the whole setup. What about a capture card? See...so many confusing questions? Can anyone help me?

2. InToDVD

InToDVD Guest

Hello!
    I was reading your post and I thought I would offer my services to you. I started a company that converts VHS to DVD. I can convert most anything into a digital format including, music tapes, vinyl records, etc.. I have the highest quality equipment. If you convert your own VHS to DVD, it would be a very time consuming, costly, and somewhat difficult process.
    For more information please visit my web site at: www.intodigital.net

Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions.
    I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Brandon Seil

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2004
  3. permatex

permatex Regular member

hp dc4000 movie writer is a dvd writer that comes with all the programs and cables you need to transfer vhs tapes to dvd.to copy protected vhs tapes go to facetvideo.com and purchase a clarifier.

4. ffray

ffray Member

Thank you so much...I will be so happy when this works !!!!

5. 72morgan

72morgan Regular member

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  6. ffray

ffray Member

72morgan... What about copying the Macrovision encoded VHS to DVD? Would I hook up a "ADS Tech Instant DVD 2.0" or "SIMA GODVD! video enhancer" in between the VCR and the video recorder?

7. 6kids

6kids Member

72morgan, where did you find one for around $400? When I tried your link it said over $1,199. Thank you!
    Six

8. permatex

permatex Regular member

i have two systems on my computer that can de uses to transfer vhs movies to dvd. cyberlink has a program called powerproducer-3.to use this program you need a good capture card and vcr.the second system i use primarily because of its reliability,hp dc4000 movie writer comes with required cables and programs.you will also have to purchase a clarifier from facetvideo.com,the clarifier kills the copyright protection and allow vou ot copy any vhs tape to dvd.set up is simple,vcr to clarifier clapifier to movie writer,movie writer to computer.ps movie writer is external.threr is four simple steps involved,name a title for the movie,insert plank dvd disk,tell the program cables being used composit,s-video or ieee 1394 composite cables comes with the dvd movie writer,set movie length,hit play on your vcr and transfer on the program screen.from this point on the program will record,decode and burn a dvd automaticly.program screen will tell you when dvd burn is complete and eject the completed dvd.

9. 6kids

6kids Member

Permatex; Where do you get a hp dc 4000 movie writer? Any idea what the cost might be? Why do you also have the powerproducer-3? Is there any advantage to having both?
    Thanks! Six

10. permatex

permatex Regular member

hp dc4000 movie writer can be bought from hp.com and office max.price around 250.00.as far as cyber link power producer-3,by the time yor buy the program and capture card total cost would be asout the same,however, the hp dc4000 writer is faster ,more stable and allow more opotions.by the way hp has come out with a newer version hp dc5000 with even more options.check it out.

11. 6kids

6kids Member

Thanks permatex! I definately will do that! Thank you for all of your help. Best to you and yours for the Holidays, Six

12. 6kids

6kids Member

permatex when I tried to look up hp dc5000 it comes up with a mini tower? do you have a link to it?
    Thanks! Six

13. permatex

permatex Regular member

THE HP DC5000 MOVIE WRITER IS A MINI TOWER. THE HP DC4000 MOVIE WRITER IS A LOT SMALLER AND DOES THE SAME THING.THE 5000 HAS MORE FUNCTIONS THAT YOU MAY NEVER USE.THE 4000 WORKS JUST FINE.I HAVE TURNED APPROX 32 VHS MOVIES INTO DVD MOVIES AND STILL GOING STRONG.GO TO HP.COM AND ENTER HP DC 4000 IN THE SEARCH AREA FROM THERE YOU CAN READ ALL THE SPECIFICATION.THIS IS AN EXTERNAL UNIT AND NOT AS BIG AS IT LOOKS IN THEIR PICTURE AT HP.COM

14. pulsar

pulsar Active member

permatex, typing in caps on this site is inferred as shouting & rude.
    I would not recommend it!

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Surely you just have to use video capture software to get the vhs image to your HD?
    Or am I talking out of my arse again?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  16. permatex

permatex Regular member

the software and composite cables comes with the hp dc4000.you supply a computer,vcr and a clarifier. the clarifier kills the copyright protection and allow you to turn any vhs to dvd.go to facetvideo.com for clarifier. the process send the movie from the vcr to the clarifier to the dc4000 to the computer hard drive and back to the dc4000 to burn dvd.this is real time recording which means if a vhs movie is two hours long,the vcr will play the movie for two hours.the program takes about twenty minutes to decode and burn dvd.note-once the dvd is complete,you are asked if you want to make another copy.if you say no you are given the option to keep a copy of the movie on your hard drive or remove it.movies takes up a lot of hard drive space so it is always better to remove after dvd is burnt,the program software removes the movie on your say so.vhs movies up to two and a half hours long can be transfered to dvd.

17. 6kids

6kids Member

permarex, I did come up with the hp 5000 movie writer. I think that it says that you can copy longer VHS movies on it than the 4000 but I'm not so sure that the extra lenght is needed since most VHS long movies are about 2 hrs. Have you ever come up with a VHS that wouldn't fit on a DVD? Do you need special DVD's to copy onto? I see the the 5000 also copies onto double layered DVD's? Is this important also? Do you think that for the difference I should go for the 4000 or the 5000? I really do appreciate your information and the time that you have been taking to answer my questions.
    Thanks again, Six

18. permatex

permatex Regular member

i have stayed with the dc4000 because there options like copying a three hour movie. how i get around this problem ,i start the movie and set the timer to 2 hours,after the movie has been recording for one and a half hours i give the program a stop signai at which time the program ask do you want to stop recordine,i click yes and the program ask,do you want to continue creating your disk uith the vedio already captured,i click yes and and the program goes in to decode and burn.when the hour and a half dvd is complete and ejected i close the program and restart the sequrnce all over again and record the second half of the movie.keep in mind that when you record the first half of long movie,stop the record and the vcr at the same time,wait until the disk is burnt then when you set up again to do the second half of the movie start ths vcr at the same place you stopped.this process puts the movie on two disks.using this process you should be able to record any length movie to dvd,you will just need more than one bland dvd disk.remember,the program only can put two and one half hour vhs movie on a single disk.note-since i have had this hp sortware program one upgrade was received that changed the length vhs movie that can fit on one disk from two hours to two and a half hours.hopefully in the near future more upgrades uill come out extending the length of movie that can fit on one disk.once you buy the the equipment and register with ph, firmware upgrades are free.note-most vhs movies aer 2.5 hours or less.

19. 6kids

6kids Member

The plain clarifier, clarifier sx or international which is the one to get?
    Thanks! Six

20. 6kids

6kids Member

Can you also record DVD to DVD? Would this be done the same way with 2 DVD recorers and the clarifier in between?
    Six