1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying vinyl LP onto harddrive prior to CD?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by bryan71, Aug 4, 2002.

1. bryan71

bryan71 Member

I have purchased cables and I am able to listen to the LP on the computer speakers.
    I have Xp as the operating system.

2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Then you just record the sound to your HD - whats the problem? At least Feurio! has recording features, but you might like to clean up the sound with some sound editor before burning.

3. Yeme3

Yeme3 Guest

Below was, more or less, submitted elsewhere in this forum:

One can use Goldwave, a very good audio wave editor. One sets Goldwave for a twenty minute capture and feeds the Casette tape output (or the LP output) into the sound card's input. Goldwave can then be used to clean the captured sound of Hiss, Pops, and Clicks. I have not used them, but other softwares are available also: Dart, Steinberg Clean, and even Nero will work.

Trouble is that one can easily spend two to four hours per song trying to get all the noised removed. (The noise is most noticebale when wearing earphones.) One saves first, tries a filter, and --- if not good enough --- does it all over again --- and repeating this process over and over, perhaps intensily in certain sections. Often one finds that in trying to eliminate some noise in a quiet area, one also loses the music. Cleaning a cassette of Hiss, Click, and Pops is very, very tedious and extremely time consuming. Cleaning a LP is far worse. In fact, one should wash the LP in distilled water (somehow keeping the label attached) before even tring to capture its songs.

As previously said elsewhere, it is just far simpler to just download the songs from the internet, as most times they are free of noise.

Use www.winmx.com to search for the songs. It is free, and also free of ads and spyware. If you have a fast internet connection, use Napimx to load all the OpenNap servers into WinMX.

4. Olive

Olive Guest

Bryan 71, I read your msg. about the cables you bought to play your LP on your computer. What cables did you buy, and what phonograph player are you using. I want to record some old Command LP's to CD. I tried to find your msg about this previously and did not find it. Any help will be appreciated from anyone.Thanks!

5. Racemann

Racemann Regular member

6. bryan71

bryan71 Member

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my question. Rely appreciate it. Copied one LP to date and really pleased with the first attempt. If I can take on board some of the suggestions hopefully things can only get better.
    In reply to Olive's Question:
    Because my LP player only had a headphone socket outlet and it was 1/4 inch diameter I needed a jack to reduce it to 3.5 mm. The other end is also 3.5 mm and this goes in the sound card. I was to purchase a JVC Ref:CN-
    J240 Analogue Minidisc Recording Cable (1.5m) which came with the adaptor jack. It cost £5 from Curry's. [ Unsure if you live in the UK Olive].
    Bryan

7. Olive

Olive Guest

Many Thanks to Racemann and Bryan71 for answers to my questions. With all the good suggestions and answers, hopefully I will be able to copy LP to CD.
    Olive