1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copying

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by precawan, Jan 16, 2005.

1. precawan

precawan Member

anyone know how i can copy protected movies from vhs to dvd and get past the copy protect so it can be saved on the dhdo4?

2. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Wrong forum for analog sources such as VHS.

Try here:http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/79

VHS tapes work a little differently when it comes to "protection". Instead of scrambling the content the way a DVD does (CSS), VHS scrambles the signal output from the VCR heads to the outputs. Better known as Macrovision. Something on the tape that distorts the signal, not sure exactly what. If you try to copy tape to tape, the same thing happens. The playback VCR can descramble the signal because it is in physical contact with the tape. The recording VCR can't because all it gets is the signal end of it. Or something like that. To copy tapes to DVD, you need a TV tuner card for your Comp, and a program like MAGIX:Movies to CD&DVD. Then hook the vcr to your comp and play the tape as the program records it to your HDD. Kinda slow though as you have to watch the tape all the way through. You can't fast forward or anything.

3. squizzle

squizzle Active member

That's interesting! I have copied VHS to VHS before and I've also copied VHS to DVD (actually I took the video from Wizard of Oz and the audio from Dark Side of the Moon CD. Worked out well. Pretty cool!)

4. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Some tapes don't have Macrovision on them. A few years back I backed up several seasons of SouthPark, without a descrambler box. Got lucky I guess.

The "signal", kind of like a chirp every few seconds, that the tape gives off I think is read by the heads of the VCR and descrambled either by the heads or something attached to the heads. Since nothing is being read on the heads of the second VCR that you are trying to record to, and just the signal is going to it, it stays scrambled. Tis why in most cases you need a descrambler to copy VCR to VCR. I barely understand it myself but that's the gist of it I think.

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

There is actually a chip in the VCRs that pick up the macrovision signal. Back years ago the older VCRs didn't have the chip and would copy the VHS movies just fine. I at one time was able to remove the chip in some VCRs but they started getting too small and some are dual purpose chips that can't be removed anymore without messing up the VCR.

Jerry