1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copyright removal

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by ClipsKid, Jan 11, 2006.

1. ClipsKid

ClipsKid Member

Can anyone recomend a program like Anydvd that does not require $$$$$ or point me in the right direction. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place.

2. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Clipskid,

Easy and cheap…. Use this Guide:
    http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/petesguide13.html

It uses DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink, both FREE
    Flllow the Guide Verbatim (no pun but that’s a very good Disc to use also )
    It Shows how to use DVDDecrypter in the ISO Read R Mode and that will take care of any copy protection that the Movie may have…

Don’t believe it could be so simple? Try it, it works!

3. colw

colw Active member

DVD43 is also a useful, free program.

4. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

@colw,

True, but DVD43 runs way behind on their updates and most of the time won’t handle the newest Movies..

Using the Guide by Scuba Pete with DVDDecrypter in the ISO Read R Mode you will be able to copy any protection there is and not have to run DVD43 or Buy AnyDVD……

It’s all FREE and simple…..

The Only problem that I can see is that Scuba’s Guide don’t have many Pictures and it’s like pulling teeth from a chicken to get some ppl to read ANYTHING……….

Check my Signature..

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  5. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

DVDFab Decrypter Has Its Place...

6. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

True Fab has it’s place.
    It also Rips in the file mode which can cause problems, like bad structure errors, if it’s not kept updated….
    DVDDecrypter can Rip in the ISO Mode, that is bit by bit, and not have any problems with missing sectors, etc. because it don’t look at them as files and the file handling routines in windows corrects it once it has been ripped to the HD...

The ISO Read Mode in Decrypter has been overlooked for a long time because all the Guides were telling you to rip in the File F Mode...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  7. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

true...
    thanx for the info 2OldGeek

8. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

You’re welcome…

Yall come back now, ya hear?

9. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

nice...

10. Happy37

Happy37 Member

@2oldGeek

I know from reading here on AD that the above is true, yet does the ISO Read mode do more than what the File F mode does, or vice versa? - what's the difference? - what does one do that the other doesn't, or is that not the case?

Which mode would you recommend to use?

Please let me know - I look forward to your response.

Regards

11. 9mmruger1

9mmruger1 Regular member

I used the ISO read mode last night on Serenity. It worked like a charm.

The only issue that some might notice is that there is the conflict with the origonal DVDD ISO name being the same as the DVDShrink ISO name when shrinking the DVDD ISO. I simply created a new folder within the DVDD folder to put it in. This might cause a novice some confusion in the backup process in shrink.

Example: DVDdecrypter ISO read created the Serenity ISO file.

After backing up with DVDShrink, DVDShrink creates a Serenity ISO file.

You will either have to rename the shrink ISO or put it into a different folder. Renaming will be easier in the future.

Cheers.

12. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Happy37,

Please, no long technical explanation… LOL

Lets just say the difference is that the File F mode looks at each individual file and when Rip Guard has changed the information about the file, that is it has changed it so a file handling system, like File F, thinks it’s not there and cannot copy it…
    The ISO Mode, on the other hand, does not look at the disc as files, but as one big 8GB+ file and reads it bit by bit, byte for byte and doesn’t care what the information about the files or sectors says..
    Basically, its just gathering the data from the disk without checking it or counting bits, and overlooks errors that have been placed there to try and keep it from being copied..

Learn to use the ISO, read and write mode and you’ll be able to overcome any copy protection they throw at you.. And that’s why I always recommend it…

13. Happy37

Happy37 Member

2oldGeek

Many thanks for your reply and for making this clear.

I have already used the ISO Read/ISO Write modes to burn my discs to Verbatim DVD+R DL discs and it has worked fine so far, with some exception(s).

I thought that I was told to set the booktype to DVD-ROM to ensure maximum compatibility with other DVD players???

I have successfully backed up/copied 15 of my movies so far using the Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x speed media and I set the booktype to DVD-ROM and they work okay in my PC as well as my Pioneer standalone player.
    [bold]These do not work/did not work if I had left the booktype as DVD+R DL.[/bold]

Yet, having said that, I also have got another 11 copies of my movies that I've left as DVD+R DL booktype and they ALL work in my standalone Pioneer player, so what is going on?
    [bold]These do not work/did not work if I had left the booktype as DVD-ROM.[/bold]

What should I be setting the booktype setting to by default? - shall I leave it as DVD-ROM, or shall I leave it as DVD+R DL?

I have also got 2 other movies that I have not backed up as yet as my rewriter needed to be replaced - I have since replaced my Sony DW-D22A rewriter with the Sony DRU-800A rewriter and have burnt one previous, failed disc as a DVD-ROM and it plays fine on my PC and the standalone player.

[bold]I have yet to attempt to burn the 2 remaining discs, yet what should I be setting the booktype setting to by default? - shall I leave it as DVD-ROM, or shall I leave it as DVD+R DL?[/bold]

I look forward to a response and any advice and suggestions that you may wish to pass on.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  14. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Happy37,

At my age, I always say just KISS it. (Keep It Simple Stupid) LOL

When I copy (backup) a Disc I use the easiest method possible…

If you have problems with a certain Movie/Disc then use alternate methods and usually one of them will work. If not, then there is a problem with Dirty, Scratched or Bad pressing.. Then the best alternative is to replace the disc.

Read this:
    http://www.k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php#BitSettingLinks
    It tells about bitsetting/Booktyping
    My Drive is capable of Booktyping all the DVD +R discs that I burn to be DVD-ROM, by default.. This simple makes them more compatible with all of the Players on the market, both new and old.. If the Players that you use are comfortable with the DVD +R format then don’t even worry about it He He. I prefer to booktype everything I burn to DVD-ROM because some of my Grandkids have players that just do not like the +R format…

Old dude..

15. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

you know what they say, old people have more experience. lol

16. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

You reach the point where everything either Dries up or Leaks. LOL

17. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

18. arniebear

arniebear Active member

It is true that ISO mode captures the whole image, but you cannot alter that file once it is done. So if you have a protected disk you just get the blanked cells that cannot be changed. If you rip in file mode the IFO can be editted to get rid of the bad cells. It is fine to rip in ISO for movies that do not have the new protection,

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48842

19. dysart147

dysart147 Member

I like DVD43 for free version. Only a coulpe of movies it had a hard time with. They don't update as often, but what do you want when you get the product for free?

20. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

@arniebear,
    Oh how misinformation makes it’s way through the channels… LOL

Whoever wrote the quote is NOT a programmer and Does Not understand how the File handling routines in Windows works….. IT’S COMPLETELY WRONG!!!

Think about this: When you make a 1:1 copy of a Protected Disk to a DL disc using say DVDDecrypter in the ISO Read then ISO Write Mode, you are able to do this without running any other software that will remove the New Protections that Decrypter does not handle.. Once the 1:1 copy has been burned put it in and copy it, IT HAS NO PROTECTION! It is no longer there… Where did it go?

The only way to protect a disc from being copied is to change the information that tells the File handling routines where the information is on the disc. By changing the information, on the disc, so that it tells it there is no sector there then the file handling routine will be confused and just throw up….

The ISO Read routine, on the other hand, does not use this file information it simply reads the whole dam disc as one big 8GB+ file one byte at a time and doesn’t break it into smaller files.

Once it has been loaded to the computer, the routines in Windows look it over, break it into smaller files and correct the bad information. Thereby REMOVING the copy protection…..

I am a programmer since 1965 now retired but have known this since the days that they were trying to protect programs on 5 ¼” floppy discs. It didn’t work then and it doesn’t work now.. We use to change the disc information on those floppies to remove the protection, they were re-writeable, but you can’t write to a pressed DVD so the way to remove it is to let the routines in windows do it for you by reading in the whole DVD with a good ISO reading program like DVDDecrypter and then writing it back to another disc.

When you read the disc using the File mode then it’s broken into smaller files and the Windows routines just leave it alone.. Shrink will see one of the “Blank” sectors and don’t know when to stop trying to copy it and you will get an out of memory error.

Don’t believe me?

Take one of the New protected discs like Brothers Grimm, or Sky High or whatever, Rip it with DVDDecrypter in the ISO Read Mode, then open it with DVDShrink in the File -> Open Disc Image and do what you wish with it. You’ll see that it has no protection and Shrink can handle it..

Now do the same thing with Decrypter in the File F Mode.
    Shrink will not be able to handle this one because the protection is still there..
    I am a Programmer, Not a writer so, If this cannot be understood I apologize, but it’s the best explanation that I can come up with, without getting down in the technical cesspool.. LOL

Edited so I can add one more thing..
    If you do Rip in the File F mode and the bad sectors are still there, you can run it thru VobBlanker and it will do the same thing that the windows routines do. That is correct the bad sector information to remove the copy protection…

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006