1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copyright removal

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by ClipsKid, Jan 11, 2006.

1. sivarT

sivarT Member

I am still confused about the Shrink thing. I never clicked on DVD Decrypter to run, so the only way that DVD Decrypter could have caused my computer to access Nero (since all I aver ran was Shrink), is if DVD Decrypter is also bundled as a part of Shrink. Which for those non-technical (such as myself) would mean that Shrink CAN burn indirectly. Or at least can tell Nero to burn.

Kinda like saying that I am not really listening to my radio, but to my speakers. Well, technically yes, but the speakers are a component part of a whole called your radio. While DVD Decrypter did the communication with Nero, it is part of the whole called Shrink (although I also have a separate copy of DVD Decrypter too) so I burned with Shrink.

Anyway, that is just what intuition tells me. I don't want to get into an argument over this, because there is a good chance I am wrong, and will end up getting embarrased like that guy earlier in the thread who claimed that burning was done bit by bit and copy protection doesn't matter.

On to my second point. I saw that you linked to a PSL file for Decrypter. Thank you for that, it will come in handy tonight. But back to question one, say when I get home tonight I get the PGCEdit program, and the PSL2 Plugin (which I believe I read the tutorial for) how can I know what files need to be removed?

What I mean is, I want to be able to at least detect (hopefully nullify) the next arccos DVD I encounter, and deal with it without looking for a tutorial that is specific only to that movie. So, what cells, or PGC, or Vob, or VTS or other alphabet soup contains arccos, and what are the indicators? Is it incorrect size, does its filename show up in itallics, or does my CPU puff out purple smoke, or what signs are there for me to know that this particular unit of space on this file needs to be blanked, or edited, or whatever other proper word applied to it?

I have got my fishing pole, and I am waiting for someone to show me how to cast (without paying extra money for a better rod and reel such as AnyDVD).

EDIT: brobear I was typing when you responded about DVD FAB. Perhaps that is my solution. But nonetheless, if anyone can shed info on me learning to detect and remove arccos I would be happy to listen.

EDIT AGAIN: Nevermind, I found a different general tutorial on how to use PSL2 files generated from PGCEdit to accomplish exactly what I was asking. Ahh, the power of Google.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  2. arniebear

arniebear Active member

The only way to know if you have ARccOS, Puppetlock or any other of the new protections, is to start ripping. If Shrink spits out an error like Data error (cyclic redundancy check),Error code-Exception occured",Error code ,Error code-Invalid DVD navigation structure, Error code-Out of memory. You know there is a problem. If Decrypter gives tell you structure protection found will insert dummy sectors then you and starts inserting and extracting sectors it is a sure bet that there is protection. Using AnyDVD is the easiest because it breaks the encryption and gives you a nice message of just what is on that disk, so you know.

As for DVD Shrink it just rips/compresses and that is all, it does not burn. The program integrates itself with Nero, Decrypter or CopytoDVD to burn. You can also by changing some files get it to burn automatically with ImgBurn, which is the burn part of DVDDecrypter and is what the developer of Decrypter is working on now. It is not a bundled program both Shrink and Decrypter are unique to themselves. The developer of Shrink now works for Nero and if you use Nero Recode you will see it is the same program only faster.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Well put. AnyDVD is one handy app and well worth the price.

Just so the freeware fans don't get upset, DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink are worth the price as well. LOL

4. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I paid the full price for AnyDVD got no discount, but never begrudged the extra money. The program has paid for itself many times over. In this day and age we spend more money on frivolous items than you would on this program. I love free, but sometimes they do have limitations, so spending a little to give them a little help is not that much of a sacrifice.

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

arniebear

My feelings exactly. If I can afford it and it makes life a little better then why not? Besides you only have to buy it once and you get lifetime free upgrades.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  6. FredBun

FredBun Active member

After using dvdxcopy from 321 and dvdxplat with videovault and DVD43 have finally decided to give AnyDVD a shot because of the new garbage out there especially in sony movies, after getting flightplan I downloaded AnyDVD trail version, was excited to give it a shot, after succefully downloding AnyDVD and clicked on dvdxplat it said I didnt have need a decrypter, I tried videovault, said the same thing, just my luck.
    After inserting the movie the little fox icon does fade than after several seconds its color comes back, kinda like DVD43 works, so you would figure it should be working, nope. And of course DVD43 I did remove.
    And of course I tried several things, also made sure like always that norton, spysweeper, go-back, etc. are all deactivated, nothing, so I sent a responce to slysoft tech people, to my suprize I got a responce in less than 12 hours, wow, they asked what kind of software I'm running, thank God I use belarc.com which keeps all your info inside your computer, it made it easy other wise I would be typing for a half an hour.
    I also mentioned to them something I could never figure out, everytime I removed DVD43 and redownload again, when I would download it, save it to my download folder, than activate and run it from there even tough it showed as a succesfull download with it's little icon it would never activate, I also would get a no dycrypter message, than I would remove it again and this time just run it without clicking on save, than it would work. This happined to me several times, I still try to go the save method but it would never work.
    I did download AnyDVD by saving in to a folder, kinda wish I didn't now, than would run it after, I'm wondering if I just ran it from the start maybe I would not have this problem, in my next responce to slysoft I did explain this because I wanted to know if I could remove AnyDVD and run it again without me losing the 21 day free trial which we know could happin, but thier next responce they never answered that question, they said that my drag-to-disc from my roxioeasycdcreator6 is probably causing the problem, what they didn't know from faq from my dvdxplat & videovault I learned from them to de-activate drag-to-disc a long time ago, was a little upset them not answering my download question.
    It's times like this I wish I was a geek, anyway, any ideas?

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Their 21 day trial is a one time gift and is a sales incentive. I'm sure they don't aim to tell anyone how to circumvent the trial. Seems the folks at slysoft were really nice to you. Most support staff won't give users the time of day unless they purchase the product. The clock started ticking when you first loaded the trial. You may be able to load and unload it for 21 days. The info for the trial is stored in your registry. Not something most people would want to go messing with. You can kill the OS.

As for Roxio's Drag-to-Disc, it isn't the only one. Most of the packet writing programs included with recording suites are problems with programs doing DVD video backups. Instantwrite and InCD are a couple more of the same type. Info about packet writing software is all over the forum and the Xcopy forum.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2006
  8. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Yeah maybe I am lucky about them getting back to me, but I also told them fix this for me and I'll buy both your anydvd and your clone, was hoping that would have givin them a little more incentive, anyway, it's one of the reasons I miss great software companies like 321 before they shut them down, you had a phone number to call and 99% of the time your problem was fixed, with these other copy burning companies I've dealt with it's all e-mail, and most of the time if you do get a responce its a goofy one anyway and you just keep going back and forth than just give up, it's a shame.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Check out Roxizap. Do a clean install of Roxio without the Drag to Disc if possible, that is if you need to. I had the app at one time and was able to simply turn it off when I was using other recording software. That may or may not be all of your troubles.

10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I have Roxio's Drag-to-Disc software. It's not running unless I use it. It does not cause AnyDVD problems so far.

11. brobear

brobear Guest

If the Drag to Disc is on the Desktop or the taskbar, it's in a position to cause interference. I exited out of the app completely when I was doing DVD backups. The Drag to Disc calls on the burner drive and keeps a connection with it at all times, even on standby. It's a known cause of interference, though it may not mess with everyone. As for it interfering with AnyDVD, this is the 1st instance I've heard of, but with interference problems, I wouldn't rule any packet writing software out. However, with the OS not recognizing AnyDVD and other apps properly, I'd be checking for problems there as well.

12. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@brobear it's in neither place. I exit out after using. And it's not allowed to start on booting. Thanks for the heads up.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

You're welcome, the info may be helpful for Fredbun, since he's having problems. Seems the people at Slysoft would know if a particular app is causing problems. Everyone may not have the problem, but Slysoft has had enough problems related to Drag to Disc for it to be a noted problem.

14. sivarT

sivarT Member

I tried the newest version of DVD FAB Decrypter, and sure enough it works against arccos. Coupled with Nero Recode 2, I burned a couple arccos titles last night and this morning without problem.

Here is the link to the newest version of FAB:
    http://www.dvdidle.com/free.htm

Thanks for your help guys. Maybe pass the above knowledge on to others with arccos questions(substituting Shrink for Recode 2) to keep it free.

EDIT: For those who want to keep using DVD Decrypter, to battle the dreaded arccos, here is an in depth tutorial for how to do it:
    http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=56078

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  15. brobear

brobear Guest

One of the ads on ARccOS says that they monitor the software being used and alter accordingly to prevent copying. If that holds true, they must love us here at AD for doing their job for them.

Did you see all that was involved with the PgcEdit process? I think I'll stick to ripping with DVDFab Decrypter and AnyDVD + DVD Decrypter. AnyDVD hasn't failed yet and if the rip is a bit noncompliant due to the IFO, I can process the ripped file through DVDFab to clean it up. The newbie doesn't have to know anything with these except how to open a file.

16. sivarT

sivarT Member

Actually, the person just wrote a long, and descriptive tutorial (the way I like it). Someone less generous could have written:

1.) Install PGCEdit.
    2.) Install PSL2 Plugin.
    3.) Install VTS Edit or Vobblanker
    3.) Run DVD Decrypter and save log
    4.) Run PSL2 plugin and open log. Assuming you have DVD Shrink, and Nero, then the rest is done.

It just looks long because of all of the images.

But I see your point. Somebody at Sony is getting paid alot of money probably to sit and read our forums. That is why I am glad I found that tutorial on how to use PSL files. They may find a way to defeat DVDFAB and the others, but DVD Decrypter will still stand. Because as long as you can tell DVD Decrypter what files to skip/handle differently, I don't think it will ever become obsolete. Whether or not Lightning UK planned it, he ensured immortality of his program by allowing those plugins to be used.

EDIT: I can't remember from school, but I think they call that modular programming, when you leave an open interface like that for others to expand.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

sivarT

ArCcos is nothing compared to what they have in mind with HD DVD. When the copy protections and DRM hits the market there may not be any simple way to skirt protections. DRM will be imbedded in all of your future hardware as well as Windows Vista. The copy protection that will be used will alter it's keys every 6 kilobytes and only hardware detection will be able to decode them. I know that someone will figure it out but I suspect that we may be seeing the end of an era.

18. FredBun

FredBun Active member

First I want to thank everybody that responded to my problem, my drag-to-disc was never turned on anyway, but to make sure, I removed the whole easy cd creator 6 anyway, still same problem, I asked slysoft people again about the way I downloaded it by going to save first, everytime I did it with dvd43 I ran into the same problem, I know I'm not computer savvy but for some reason it was making sense to me, well they did get back to me and let me remove it and let me re-download it, this time I ran it straight, no saving this time, quess what, it works fine, now both dvdxplat and videovault runs fine, no more css problem you don't have a dycrypter, OH YES, THANK YOU. Now why me using save first does not work go figure, the people from slysoft can't figure it out either, but thank you slysoft for giving me the chance, I have e-mailed them about this problem 4 times, and everytime I got up the next morning I had a reply, that show's me something, now I will purchase anydvd and clone on that fact alone.
    Now my only other problem is I lent out my flightplan to my kids that went away, can't wait till they get back so I can give it another shot with anydvd working now.
    OH BY THE WAY, I also got a new message from anydvd tonight, they said to download a new update, just did it, now I really can't wait for flightplan.

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

FredBun

Flightplan caused me no problem at all using AnyDVD. As far as hearing from AnyDVD, they update often, sometimes several days in a row, but certainly several times a month.

20. L8ter

L8ter Guest