1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

core 2 duo e6420 temps???

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by HRJustin, Jun 2, 2007.

1. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

i just got my computer put together i dont have windows or anything installed on it for that matter it seems like everything is being picked up and its waiting for a disk to boot from. i just left it on for a while while looking at the hardware monitor in the bios. im just using the stock heatsink and fan and i was wondering what the temps should be in this bios monitor. it doesnt get any hotter then 50 degrees C but that seems hot for just being in the bios. the motherboard BTW is an intel dp965lt and it seems like its working the way its suppose to. i remounded the heatsink and it didnt change the temps maybe like a degree cooler but nothing major so im pretty sure i have it mounted on there right. sorry for the rambling im just worried about it i just want it to last for a while after putting so much money into building it.

2. pollution

pollution Regular member

You used thermal paste?

50C/122F is a little warm for idle temps compared to my personal computer that stays under 100F but then I had an earlier machine that was fine at 139F.

3. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

yep i got some arctic silver Céramique i thought maybe i messed up putting it on the first time but it seemed like about the right amount. i reapplied it and its about the same temp as it was last time i put a cleaner looking bead on it but i still think it was about the same amount. after letting it idle for a while in the intel bios hardware monitor thing. someone told me that the processor is like mid load so the temps are a bit higher then idle in windows. i wont know until i install windows. the order is submitted but it wont be shipped until monday so i prolly wont get it until like wednesday or thursday. this is my first build so i dunno what it should be i was just curious but the bios is all i have to look at for now lol.

4. pollution

pollution Regular member

Applying a thin layer as artic silver has listed on their instructions should cool fine. When reapplying the thermal paste you want to clean all the old thermal paste off with artic cleaner or acetone and some coffee filters. Once you have windows installed you can use Everest to read temps.

Get to the temps by clicking

Computer
    -->Sensor

5. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

yea i cleaned it off with coffee filters and 91% Isopropyl alcohol and used the same amount as what it said the in the instructions on the arctic silver website. i cleaned it good both times and it didnt drastically change the temps so i just think that the hardware monitor in the bios is hotter then it would be at just idle. i can reapply it if i need to but i dont think that i used to much. just a few more days and ill be able to install windows and then i should know what the temps are for sure.

6. pollution

pollution Regular member

I would just wait till after installing windows and run everest to see what the temps are like you said but that is odd to me the temps are so high in the BIOS, I have never seen that.

The first computer I built the CPU was overheating and it froze during OS install.

7. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

i hope that doesnt happen to me. the fans only going about 1040 from what the bios says so i dunno if that will go faster with windows installed or not. this is my first computer build and i think that i did everything right and its picking up everything so i dunno what could be wrong i thought that the core 2 duo was suppose to run cool.

8. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

well i got it all together now and its running way cooler for a few days now then what it was getting to in the BIOS hardware monitor. im using the Intel desktop utilities and it shows my e6420 running at like 31c at idle and the hottest that i have seen it when i was dvd encoding was like 48-49 nothing like what it was doing in the BIOS. i think that the bios just makes it seem like the CPU is running alot harder then it really is im just guessing. im pretty sure the temps are right with this because its not unstable or anything its running fine with everything that i have done with it. i love not having to wait for stuff to load and i can do so many different things at the same time as im scanning for viruses or spyware.