1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Correct Operations?-fix HDD

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by teroenza, Mar 23, 2007.

1. teroenza

teroenza Member

Hello all,
    I am attempting to fix an xbox for a friend who had someone do a softmod for him. The softmod got corrupted somehow and he tried a howswap.Unfortunately he really didn't know what he was doing and I believe the drive is now locked. I am new to this also and am wondering if I am correct in my assumption that I need to first build the hardware device to get the eeprom and HDD key, then use a hotswap and xplorer360 to write the MS dashboard back to it?
    Thank You
    -ter

2. pads4ever

pads4ever Member

3. teroenza

teroenza Member

Thank you, I had seen that but i'm not sure if the HDD is bricked or not. That's why I was wondering about the need for the eeprom reader.
    Thanks
    -ter

4. steimy

steimy Active member

5. teroenza

teroenza Member

Thank you for the information. I'm still trying to understand the need to either de-solder or build a reader for the eeprom if hotswapping will work. I'll try hotswaping and go from there.
    Thanks
    -ter

6. teroenza

teroenza Member

I have now tried hotswapping numerous times to no avail. I've read the link above "How to Hotswap and recover a HD without an eeprom backup" and the one on making an eeprom reader. Does anyone think these would work or am I out of luck?
    Thanks
    -ter

7. pads4ever

pads4ever Member

Well, i wont even mess with my xbox motherboard, and i suck at electronics so for me making the eeprom reader its sort of a longshot.. dont know if the eeprom reader works but it seems like people have founded usefull, i would recomend just installing a modchip in the xbox and once thats done, you wont need any eeprom keys or stuff like that, you'll be able to install almost any HD into the box, right now you can get them cheap, even the solderless chips.. thats my advice.

Good luck, i f'up a harddrive while hotswapping and im about to do the same to the xbox, put in a modchip and install a new hd.

8. teroenza

teroenza Member

I also understand and am quite wary about soldering on the motherboard itself.I really wouldn't have any trouble getting the tools and parts together for a reader, I just want to make sure I have at least some chance of it working. I agree about the modchip but 1. I don't think it could help me at this stage and 2. it's my friend's xbox and unless I can get him to pay up I would rather spend as little $$$ as possible.
    Thanks
    -ter