1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corrupt pvd in .bin files

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by scampus, Sep 6, 2004.

1. scampus

scampus Member

Hi,

I have read most of the posts in the forums but have not found anything that resembles my problem.

I recently changed my hard drives to some nice Samsung SATA 160gb, upgrading my two IBM Deskstar 120gb PATA drives. I transferred all my info - no problem.

Using the disk management function I removed the partitions from the disks and removed them. I soon realaised that I had forgotten to copy over some .bin files. Knowing that the data hadn't really been deleted, I used a program called "Get Data Back" by Runtime Software (very handy program) to retrieve the 'lost' data.

Now that I have retreived the bin and cue files, I am having problems. Acohol 120% 1.9.2 Build 1705, loads the cue no problem, but when I burn it I get a corrupt disk.
    If I mount the image on a virtual drive, 'My computer' stops repsponding, when it comes back, the drive (L:) just says 'CD drive', and not the label of the disk, if I right click it, it takes about 2 minutes for the menu to appear and then Windows reports the drive as unformatted or corrupt.
    When I load the bin file into Iso buster, I get the following message: -
    The Primary Volume Descriptor (PVD) is unreadable.
    REad Error at address : 16
    Device reported Error : 05/64/01

What I would like to know is if it is possible to repair the damaged pvd, I have tried various software but to no avail, they all just report the .bin as damaged or missing.

Hoping Someone can help

Scampus

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Sorry, not. If an image is corrupt (you can check it also with doing a 'scan for corruption' with CDMage to avoid wasting blank CDs) there's no way I know to repair it.

3. scampus

scampus Member

Hi aldaco12,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I have tried opening the file in cdmage but it just tells me that the file format is invalid. So i can't even check the scan for corruption option!

I can access the file, sort of, with isobuster, but if try to extract the mpg (its an SVCD) I just end up with an mpeg of 0 bytes.

Anymore ideas?

Thanks

Scampus

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Try downloading Cue Creator, create new .cue file(s), use burnatonce , a free burning program, load the .cue file and burn no faster than 8x. Another option as a test is to create a new .cue file, then use IsoBuster and extract raw and see if you encounter any errors.

Cue Creator
    http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~glabr047/cueator.html