1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corrupted DVD's

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Polito, May 9, 2007.

1. Polito

Polito Member

I have copied and burned several DVD's. All play in my computer from the folder. When tested OK I do the burning and test again in my DVD player in family room. Tested OK and then I put a label or if printable I print from my printer and store them. Several weeks later I want to see the movie and most of the time two things can happen, I get a message "Incorrect Disk" or the movie starts playing and after several minutes it freezes and lock the player. I read sometime ago that the dye used in writable DVD's is organic and with the heat from the burner will eventually get corrupted. Is not a software or encryption problem. Is this correct or what? I use Verbatim 4.7GB for printables, Sony 4.7GB for labels and Verbatim 8.5GB DL All +R
    Thanks.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Do they play in the PC?

3. Polito

Polito Member

Yes. From the folder in HD. Then when burned I play it again from DVD player in my PC, but I do it at 8X or 32X. They don't freeze. I think is the DVD player I have. Is Toshiba.

4. attar

attar Senior member

To be quite clear, I was asking if the disks, which no longer play in your family room are playable on the PC.
    Often the PC is more forgiving than the standalone.

If you are burning dvd's at 8x or God forbid 32x, then that is the problem.
    No more than 4x on 'Made in Japan' media or 'Verbatim' is what the Nero Forum at Afterdawn says.

Labels aren't recommended (but I have not run into problems using the Staples applicator on CD's) and I print directly to Verbatim printable DVD disks.

5. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

IIRC Toshiba DVD players at least used to be known for having problems playing some DVDs. You might want to do a Google search with your model name to see what you find. I think there was/is a class action lawsuit against them because of one or more models that had problems playing certain DVDs that were completely DVD spec compliant.