1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could backing up movies then deleting the files damage my HD?

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by lindylou, Feb 24, 2005.

1. lindylou

lindylou Member

I have recently been successful backing up a few DVD's using dvdbackup, DVD2OneX and Toast. However I read on a Mac Forum (not this one) that repeatedly backing up and then trashing the files this creates can damage your hard disk.
    This has worried me as I don't understand the technical working details of my Mac (though I love it dearly) and I don't want to do any damage that I can't repair.
    I run the Verify Permissions on the HD regularly, but just lately the Mac seems to be slowing down. Have I done something ? The last 2 movies I have tried to back up haven't worked, they had no sound after using dvdbackup when I tired to play the Video-ts with dvd player.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    ps It's an iMac 10.3.8, 800 mhz G4, 768 mb SDRAM, superdrive inside.

2. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Whoever said that is on drugs.

I do think it is wise to use a different drive than your SYSTEM drive. One that is dedicated to the large amounts of data video or dvd will use. Your system may be slowing down because you have very little space left on your hard drive.

3. lindylou

lindylou Member

All I do is shut everything else down till the movie is processed, store it on the desktop, then delete it all afterwards.
    I don't do much on the mac, this is what the activity monitor shows for the system - Space Utilized - 13.89GB, Space Free - 41.88GB. Is that OK?
    Just wondering now why Legends of the Fall (Brand New Superbit) and King Arthus copied with no sound using Mactheripper and Dvdbackup.
    Thanks.
    (Actually I have just installed Camino and it is loads faster than Safari, which is what I was judging it on.)

4. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Yeah as much as I love apple I had to bail on safari and go to firefox. Safari just had too many problems.

Sounds like you have enough space. Perhaps do it to a folder in your documents instead of your desktop. I've found apps that don't like working from the desktop. (but they shouldn't have a problem).

5. sarahvita

sarahvita Member

@ mediaguru.. do you run a mac? or PC.. foxfire is only for windows os.. right? or am i being directed to the wrong page...

6. sarahvita

sarahvita Member

@ mediaguru.. do you run a mac? or PC.. foxfire is only for windows os.. right? or am i being directed to the wrong page...

7. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

I don't know about foxfire. But Firefox runs on OSX and it works great.

8. sarahvita

sarahvita Member

i followed the link and the platform only had windows OS? so i tried to download anyway and it gave the blank peice of paper DL file so I stopped.. any sugg?

9. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

10. sarahvita

sarahvita Member

thanks mediaguru.. i looked it up this morning and found the proper page. thanks though.. you are always so helpful

11. xaosai

xaosai Member

I've been using firefox for a while. My favorite tools is the immediate "command f" find routine. However, I've run into some problems that safari seems not to have. Sometimes when I dl a .dmg file, firefox thinks the file belongs to the HexEdit application, so I can never mount the disk image. And I'm not sure how to get the finder to see it as a disk image if the file extension is correct already. Safari never does this. Also, sometimes I have trouble downloading files from ftp servers on firefox. It seems to happen less frequently with safari. Also, there's lots of great software that operates through safari. I think they're both worth having, but I always find myself switching back and forth.

12. sarahvita

sarahvita Member

I havent really tried firefox out enough to know whats up with
    it.. it seems ok.. Safari was never bad for me.. I have had
    trouble mounting the disk image.. I dont even know what that
    means.. or how to fix it.. how do you disengage Safari from
    taking over as the browser? I close it down but it keeps
    coming back.. do I have to uninstall? and do you know an
    easy way of putting all of oyur bookmarks onto firefox?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005