1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could someone please clarify somethings about modding my psp

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by uneek14, Jun 14, 2007.

1. uneek14

uneek14 Member

I just bought a psp...its version 3.11...i realize there is no downgrader on it yet...but i just have a couple of questions:

1) After you downgrade to version 1.5, can you just download any random games off the net (actual sony games) and play them? Or is there other things i need to do (other programs etc) before i can play them

2)Can you install programs of choice onto it? (AOL Messenger, MSN messenger etc) or can i transfer movies to my memory stick and watch them?

3)Would you recommend i get a psp modchip? What does a modchip do?

4)What all can i do with a psp? like after all the mods and everything, what is the Sony PSP capable of?

2. copdogz

copdogz Guest

i still havent downgraded mine since im waiting on my memory stick and i'm also making sure i know EXACTLY what i'm doing. i think i'm going to as soon as the stick comes in the mail. that being said, here is what i know.

1) you need to put on a custom firmware, such as Dark Alex's 3.40OE-A. Then you can play ISO's/CSO's of PSP games. (ISOs are just a direct copy of the game, CSOs are the same but a little more compressed).

2)movies, yes. other things, beats me.

3)no. its used to have two firmwares at once. the one on the psp and the one on the chip. its a PAIN to install and is really only good if you bricked your unit.

4) playing homebrew, backups, PSX games, customizing the interface, and other stuff.

3. Anon212

Anon212 Member

You know, It might do anything in capability, like Windows vista and XP, Homebrew apps can be available, and all sorts of stuff. u can Get movies on there, but u need Movies 2 PSP though. Modchips are probably hardware for the psp (correct me if im wrong) and i wouldnt recommend it. Games from the internet may wrk. but it depends if they arecapable with the sony PSP.

4. uneek14

uneek14 Member

thanks...yeah i've been looking on youtube and saw people with windows vista on a psp...im assuming there is no harm in putting that on my system untill the 3.11 firmware mod comes out

but with regards to games...i wanna know if i can go online...download a bunch of PSP games in .iso form..transfer them on to the psp and play them...or is there something i need to do in between?

and also...the movie to psp converter...is it a real time converter (like the time it takes to convert is the length of the movie) or can you convert format's instantly (or fairly shortly)

5. scrum

scrum Member

I can only answer your question about the games. If you have a 1.5 psp or if you can eventually downgrade to 1.5, you probably will want to upgrade to 3.40 OE-A. It is probably easier to upgrade than it will be to downgrade (which is why I bought a 1.5 psp). I used this link to upgrade:

http://dvdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19007

If you upgrade to 3.40 OE-A, you just need to format your memory stick when you're done and it will create an ISO folder on the stick. Once you get .iso's (or .cso's), you just have to put the iso's in the iso folder via usb and you're pretty much good to go. For many games, it helps to have a umd disk in the drive and a small change in recovery mode and most games will play.