1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple of Annoyances...

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by LDee, Feb 2, 2007.

1. LDee

LDee Regular member

Hello,

Does anyone know how to get around these issues:

1) Icons on my desktop for no apparent reason just rearrange themselves every now and then, sometimes one or two disappear also! This has pretty much always happened with xp I think and maybe even versions of windows before xp, happens to others too that I've talked to. I do not have auto arrange on for the icons on the desktop and anyway they are not auto arranging when they move about, I do have allign to grid on. Why does it do this?

2) I have sygate firewall installed (v5.6, dunno how it got upgraded to 5.6 when I specifically installed 5.5 because I wanted to avoid version 5.6, anyway...) and all of a sudden today without making any changes that I know of, windows security centre starts telling me that sygate is not on when it is. I have tested that it is working and everything. I use sygate because I like the way it can be configured with advanced rules much better than zonealarm and I think it uses less resources and causes less conflicts. However sygate is getting a bit weird now with all the "blocked NDIS" stuff, and refusing to acknowledge when I use the check boxes "check this box if you don't want to recieve notifications about this event in future". Also sygate has mad problem with drwatson32 on startup, if you don't have a network connection enabled when you start the pc drwatson goes mental and you have to shut them both down. I have always liked sygate but now I'm getting a bit sick of it, anyone got any suggestions? Another firewall?

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Can't help you with problem #2 but this link (below) is exactly what you need/are looking for. I use it and find it very helpful/timesaving. I learned about it in Maximum PC or PC World. Anyway heres the link...

http://users.rcn.com/taylotr/icon_restore.html

3. LDee

LDee Regular member

Thanks peainapod

should come in handy. On that page it says that happens when you enter safe mode or change the screen resoultion. Well yeah it happens in safe mode but it should revert back to how you normally have it when you go back into normal. I know a lot of games change the screen resolution when you start them so maybe it isn't changing back quickly enough when the game finishes and you go back to windows or something. Anyway this should work, thanks.

Just wish I could sort sygate out now...

4. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

If you can get a hold of an older copy of Sygate 5.5, just uninstall 5.6...reinstall 5.5, and in the options section under update, uncheck the boxes.

5. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

6. LDee

LDee Regular member

Thanks for that.

7. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

No problem, there were other versions of 5.5 but this one was the latest 5.5 build. If you still have problem you may want to try a different version of 5.5, the site I get the stuff at is www.oldversion.com

8. LDee

LDee Regular member

Thanks for the link, I'll check that site out, should come in handy.

The version you gave me the link for seems to be working good for now, no drwatson stuff at start up without a nic enabled and no weird notifications for now, thanks!