1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

couple questions

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by mickelo, Jan 8, 2005.

1. mickelo

mickelo Member

ok... first of all i read about dvd- and dvd+ and the dvd+-... what is the difference between them... if i want to burn a ps2 game do i need to figure out if it is a + or -... of will they all run on +
    ...the game i tried to burn is the new GTA... it loaded up fine (swap magic 2.0)
    and then as i get into the game it would freeze a little and somtimes the road would disapear. is this caused by copyright or by me needing to burn slower or use the right disc (i did 4x on a staples brand dvd) and i used a dvd-r...

i would also like to know about dual layered dvds... if theres a place where i can read up on this (without having to read a million pages) i'd like to know.

2. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Balaam made more sense than me

Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Successful ps2 burns are all about the media. Quality media makes a huge difference. You can check the media id of those staples disks using dvd decrypter, but i'd assume that they aren't great.

Regarding +/-, it depends on the version of ps2 you have. versions 1-4 cant read dvd+r's. versions 5+ can, and from personal experience alone, my ver 5/6 ps2 prefers dvd+r's.

As far as DL goes, theres nothing really more you need to know than that they are DVD9's, as opposed to DVD5's, which just means that they are capable of holding twice the content: 8.5 gigs as opposed to 4.35. Nothing more to it. In refernce to the ps2, swap magic can't do anything with DVD9's, so its not applicable here. Not sure if mod chips can hadles them, since I use swap magic as well.

4. mickelo

mickelo Member

so i should get some good quality dvd+r and i should be able to burn any game other that dual layered?

i got that dvddecrypter... now how do i check the "media id " and what is it?