1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coverting entire DVD collection

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by cgacfox, Jun 7, 2011.

1. cgacfox

cgacfox Member

I believe that this has been discussed before but I have a huge DVD collection on my computer stored on several HDDs. I would like to convert them over to be streamed through my Xbox 360 (3 of them - older not new slims) onto 2 older TVs and one new flat screen. What I am looking to do is 1) save space on the HDDs 2) not lose too much quality 3) be able to watch all through the Xbox. I am eventually going to get a blu ray player so I am also looking into being able to use that to stream so the format must be compatible with both. What is the best format to use to accomplish this and what software do you recommend? I would be prefer free if possible but don't want to spend too much money.

2. cgacfox

cgacfox Member

I actually tested Handbrake and it works. I am willing to part with the special features and such at this time. They rarely get watched on my DVDs now anyway. I use the H.264 setting for video and AAC with the 6 channel discrete that maintains the 5.1 surround sound. It also converts fairly quickly from 4.3 GB down to about 1.13 GB. For a free piece of software this really is nice!