1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU and System Temps on a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 mobo

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jbxmods, May 30, 2007.

1. jbxmods

jbxmods Member

hi, first post here...
    I recently built a core2duo/geforce 8800 system and i have a gigabyte GA-965P-S3 board. When i use speedfan to check temps the reading seem to be swapped... cpu temp is 50c and system temp is 32c. But when i boot to bios and check its the other way around. So I tried using gigabytes own software easytune5 and it reads right but take a look at pic below. Why and what does the exlamation point mean next to the cpu fan? Is my cpu temp really 50c since its in the same row?
    Did i possibly hookup something wrong?
    I hope someone can help, dont want to fry my brand new cpu.

[​IMG]

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Your CPU temps read 35/95 which is about right depending on what you are using for at HSF but your chipset temps are a bit high. I have the same board with an E6600@3.340 GHz and CPU temps are about the same as yours but my chipset is about 8 degrees lower. My guess is that your case cooling is inadequate.

3. jbxmods

jbxmods Member

thx for response, well i spent alot $$ on a thermaltake armor case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133154

Front and rear exhaust fans are 120mm, seems to have decent airflow and has plenty of room with no wiring in the way... 50c does indeed seem a little high....
    Is there a way to bump up case fan speeds?

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

the ! is because your cpu fan is running at a slow speed.

it will depend on the type of cooler you have on your cpu, your mobo is a little hot tho.

5. REAM

REAM Guest

try removing the heatsink, and using AS5 for the thermal grease

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The CPU temps are fine at 35C. Some CPU fans are designed to run at low speed to reduce noise. The fan speed on the CPU HSF should be able to vary depending on need but the chipset heat is high for a system that is not under full load.

Are you using the stock HSF that came with your CPU?

7. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

A cheaper option than buying anything would be to look at the way your cases fans are setup. First have all fans on the front serving as intakes, and all fans on the back and top serving as exhausts. If you have a side fan you can either have it serve as a exhaust fan or a intake fan. I believe it really depends on were the fan is placed. A lot of fans do little to properly cool a rig if the airflow is screwed up.

8. jbxmods

jbxmods Member

yes, using stock hsf for c2d 6400. Im pretty comfortable with the cpu temp but concerned for system temp. I will look into the fan setup as well. I think i need to look into taking off the heatsink of the mobo chipset and put some arctic silver like ream suggested. Little nervous doin it. Do the chipset heatsinks pop right off or how do most ppl do it?

9. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

please, before you spend your money and use up your time. Just try redoing the way in which the fans blow air this is free and may cure you troubles. A new thermal paste won't help if the problem is hot air sitting over the chipset.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Before you decide to remove the chipset HSF you have to consider that you will probably have to remove the motherboard to do it because it is clipped to the backside of the board. Also you won't see a lot of improvement by adding thermal paste to the chipset core. If you absolutely have to do it then you might want to add a fan to it. I took a fan from an old VGA card and it dropped temps by a good 8c (also used arctic silver). There are also some good after market coolers that are quite cheap as well, $10<.

I've been using mostly water cooling of late in my top 4 systems, but my 5th and lowest end system (still rocks) has the same board as the one you're using and the VGA fan worked just fine.

11. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Like he said first things first, check you air flow. Set it up like i have listed.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

There aren't any fans that he can redirect on his case unless you are suggesting that he turn his rear exhaust fans inward and that won't really help. He should have at least one fan in the lower front pulling air in and another in the back blowing out, thus working together to exhaust the heat. If you reverse the rear fan then you will actually slow the intake of both fans because they will be pushing against each other. The result would be a much warmer running system not cooler. If he had a CPU fan such as the Zalmans that can be turned toward his chipset that would work. I know this board and the chipset on it does tend to run hot but I was able to cool mine using a VGA fan. One can purchase a North/South bridge fan from $4 to $20, not exactly a major expenditure.

That's a standard setup in most cases.

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  13. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@Sophocles,

Your points were good and valid ones, but is it not possible that the pc case manufacturer screwed up when they were installing the fans? It happened on mine, before I first booted after my build I checked and sure enough the company had all the fans but the one on the side blowing inward. I am not suggesting that he reverse only the direction on his one fan but that he checks all the fans to ensure proper airflow.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes it is possible for some case manufacturers to include the space but not the front intake fan as well.

I apologize if I sounded a bit forward, I sometimes do that unintentionally. He would do well to insure that his fans are working as they should but I fear that he is going to need to do a little minor modding if he is to bring his chipset temps down. A simple fan for about $5 just might do it. I prefer to go through my rather extensive and growing stockpile of parts to see if I can't make it. just about any small fan mounted on the heat sink will do it as long as he can power it.

This will be my last post for a while. I'm leaving on a rather extensive tour of the Pacific Northwest which could last for weeks. So good luck to you both.

jbxmods

If in the end you decide to go through the trouble of applying thermal paste then you might want to consider adding a complete HSF replacement as well, but at the very least consider a fan. HLG

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  15. jbxmods

jbxmods Member

I ended up having to take the motherboard out anyway to put in mylar strips. The manual that came with my case wasnt updated with that info... found out through a newegg customer review. So i popped off chipset heat sink, was pretty easy.. took a little force to pop off. Cleaned off, put AS5 about the size of a rice grain. And put back on. Unfornatley temps are still the same. I was looking at the fans and feels like the intake/exhaust is correct. Ill just add a fan to the chipset like Sophocles mentioned. Everything else on the system is great.... I really like vista on my system too (ocassinal hiccups here and there)
    I upgraded from a Epox8KHA mobo/athlonxp 1800/geforce4 ti4600 system and there is no comparison....glad I upgraded when I did!
    Thanks for the help guys.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

jbxmods,
    I have a new GA-965P-DS3 v1.33 MB with an E4300@3.275GHz and I bought one of these fans to cool the NB. Screwed it right to the heat sink after modding it with AS5.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835191002

A bit expensive but it's extremely quiet. 6 CFM at 3000 RPM. I don't like the company as they just outright lie to you about the noise, but I do love this particular fan!

I also just added a Silverstone 110 CFM 120mm fan to replace the stock Cooler Master. It comes with a speed control (800 to 2400 RPM). At 1600 RPM, it's quieter than the Stock 37 CFM fan that came with the Cooler Master case, but moves a heck of a lot more air!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220014

Here's my temps and fan speeds.
    [​IMG]

The first one on the left is the new Silverstone set to 1600 RPM. The second one is the CPU cooler. Then there's the HD, GPU, Core1, Core2, CPU and the MB temps. I use both Thermal management and the on-board fan controller for the CPU as they are excellent on my MB and work with the PWM controller on the HSF. That's why the last one reads 2.2! That's the processor speed at idle. When needed it jumps right up to 3.275. I have an E4300 OC'd 82% and have no temperature issues. I use an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro that has PWM control and it works very well with this MB.

Clock On,
    theone