1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU overheating and temperature

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ReaFer, Jan 12, 2008.

1. ReaFer

ReaFer Member

Hi there everyone.

Just wanted to ask you about COMPUTER CPU temperatures and CPU fan speed.
    The make of my CPU is Intel to be precise [Intel(R)Pentium(R)D CPU 3.40Ghz]... The temperature of the CPU is jumping from 55C to 74C. And i think it is not good is it?
    The fan speed of the CPU is about 1500rpm.

Oh and by the way do you know the average speed of CPU fan?

If you have any suggestions how to make CPU temperature go down, i would be very grateful. Thanks

2. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

try using another program to measure the temperature. just to make sure the program you are using isn't messing up. try core temp and speed fan. things you could do are get a new cooler put on new thermal paste to the cpu.

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Do you live in the US? Go to your local Circuit City and buy some Arctic Silver 5. Then take some coffee filters and put alcohol on them. Take off your CPU cooler and clean off the thermal paste on it and on the CPU. Make sure there is none left. Then put a thin line of AS5 on the CPU. Don't over do it, you want VERY little. That will definitely help your temps.

Also what program are you using to monitor your temps?

4. Nicklt

Nicklt Regular member

Dont apply too much arctic silver though, too much and it actually conducts the heat making things worse.

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Haha yep, that's why I said this.

6. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

hi if u can tell us what motherboard u have because u could set the fan spped higher to make the cpu cooler
    i have a Intel Pentium D CPU 2.8hz overclocked to 3.6 and it run at 44* and i have my fan speed set to 2700 rpms

7. DedShadow

DedShadow Regular member

Wait, perhaps you should check that your fan is mounted properly and is making good contact on your processor. It may have just come loose or something, because that did happen to me once, and ended up blowing $50 on a new fan and paste and felt quite stupid after realising what I had done.

8. ReaFer

ReaFer Member

Hi there my motherboards model is ASRock 775Dual-VSTA. No the fan is fitted correctly. And no m8 I'm from UK.
    I managed to decrease CPU temp to 48C, but whenever I use more then one program the temp rise up to 56 -> 58C. And by the way I put two more fan on each side of the case, it seems to be helping...
    Do you think I done the right thing?

I asked my friend I he suggested me to change the CPU fan? But I don't have a slates idea what sort of CPU fan I have to buy.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot ;)

9. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Considering it's a Pentium D you have to expect it to be hot.

BTW I'll second the Freezer 7 Pro, it's en excellent cooler for the money.

11. DedShadow

DedShadow Regular member

Yeah I dont actually think its that bad anymore, you would know if its a serious problem if your PC started shutting itself down to protect the processor (if your board has that capability) I mean my processor runs at about 40 degrees and its fine. Oh and I third the Freezer Pro 7 =D