1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpu upgrade

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by kiwi1, Jul 2, 2007.

1. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

Hi I would like to upgrade my cpu to something more powerful, maybe dual core? I have spent a lot of money on a vid card and memory and now I feel the cpu could be better but I'm not sure what to get or what is even compatible
    I have a:
    pentium4 517(p) HT 2.93 GHz
    533 MHz front side bus
    socket 775

Motherboard Manufacturer: ECS
    Motherboard name: RC410-M

Any recomendations?
    Thanks

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

What's your budget? Since you are the lucky one and have a socket 775, you can get a quad core if you wanted to.

What kinds of things would you be using the computer for? If you do gaming/ multi tasking a lot, then how about this one?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115003

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Active member

Well you are going to need to change that motherboard. It does not support Core 2 Duo. I would recommend a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 or a Asus P5B-E motherboard. They are decent motherboards and very good overclockers(The asus clocks better, but only if you get the new E revision). Also if you are looking for performance on a budget get a E6400 or the E6420, you can overclock them and squeeze a lot of performance out of them. The E6420s have more L2 cache(2mb vs 4mb) but don't generally overclock very well. if you are buying on ebay get the SL9S9 version. This is the B2 stepping is overclocks better than the L2 stepping.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  4. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

This pc spends alot of time gaming and sometimes hosts games aswell as running teamspeak in the background, I get alot of crashes and lock ups with battlefield 2142, quite annoying, as for budget well I havn't really set a budget but I'd have to draw the line at upgrading the mobo.

I found this info from the manufacturers

RC410-M supports the following processors:
    Pentium D 900 series Dual Core (Presler)
    Pentium D 800 series Dual Core (Smithfield)
    Pentium 4 500 (Prescott)
    Pentium 4 600 (Prescott)
    Celeron D (Prescott)
    Celeron D (Cedar Mill)

Front-side bus (FSB)

800/533 MHz

I was looking at this cpu but need to know, because of the 800MHz fsb will my 533MHz memory still work? I have 2x 1gig strips coming from the states and could always send them back for 800MHz mem, I dont know alot about these things, please help
    Thanks

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Active member

That memory should work. Honestly there is a world of difference between a Core 2 duo and a Pentium D. From what I know the Pentium D was sort of a filler type product so Intel could claim to have the first Dual Core processor. What really is your budget? We could probably find you some good deals and maybe you would go the C2D route.
    EDIT: Oh and your motherboard doesnt support 800 mhz memory so dont get that kind.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  6. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

Hey thanks for your input, It basicly comes down to what I can convince my wife that we need, Anything around the $150-$200 mark and she will start asking questions.
    Just to clear this up, I can run DDR2 533 mem with the pentium D?
    And while I believe you that the PD is inferior to the C2D, how will the that PD stack up against my hyper threading P4? What kind of real performance gains could I expect? The $89US price sounds pretty good considering the same item sells here for $369. (NZ dollar is 78 cents to the US)

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Active member

Yeah your memory shoudnt be a problem, it is related to the motherboard so it should work fine. I have heard that the Pentium D is pretty good for multi-tasking(because of the two cores), but gaming performance doesnt go up all that much. If you think you need some more power try overclocking, if you dont want to then yeah the Pentium D is pretty decent for the price point and I have heard that they are good overclokers as well. Although the lowest Core 2 Duo out performs the entire Pentium D line and sometimes even the Pentium Extreme editions.

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Active member

So what way did you go? Either way just overclock your CPU to get the best performance. When you do upgrade next time I recommend not using a ECS mobo.

9. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

Well I'm still thinking about it, unless its going to help with gaming then theres no point really, and yeah with the next machine I will research a little more first. I have overclocked another older PC here through the bios, just got a large copper heatsink and big fan, it runs good considering its an old athlonXP but this P4 machine has only very basic options in the bios.
    Also I read in the windows tweaking guide that bf 2142 is very temprimental to overclocking, any truth in that? or would that just relate to vid cards.

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Active member

Sorry I woudnt know, never played that game. Sorry. I just got a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, lets see how well it overclocks. I know I said the Asus was better but I got this one for 60 bucks.