1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU upgrade

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by DOUGHBOY6, Sep 10, 2007.

1. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

need an opinion.... would it be wise to upgrade to an Intel Core 2 do from an Intel P4 3.0GHz w/ HT tech (also LGA 775)?? clock speed is slower but, will i get better results b/c its dual core??

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You will get MUCH better performance. Although you will probably have to change motherboards to get the Core 2 Duo.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If your motherboard supports it (you'd be lucky if it does), you'll see a huge performance increase. But that's an if.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah, I'm guessing he has one of the older 775 mobos that don't work with core 2 duos.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Although that said, often a BIOS update will let you use a Core 2 Duo, so it's not totally out of the question.

6. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

but if it's the same socket type there shouldn't be any problem, right? i baught this PC not even a year before the first dual core came out to the market.

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well the Core 2 Duo's need a new power delivery feature, that might not be in your motherboard. Post your motherboard on here and we can check for you.

8. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

alright 915 Express chipset family ( it's a gateway so i don't have high hopes lol)

thx

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd be very surprised if that supported a core 2 duo, i'd say it's nearly certain that it wouldn't. When I say not supported I mean wouldn't work at all, not just would work slower.

10. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

hmm ok then, thank you for your time

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No problem, If I can ever help you upgrade your other components, drop me a PM or make another thread here.