1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpu usage 100%... help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by babyalien, Apr 19, 2005.

1. babyalien

babyalien Member

when i am encoding in shrink or dvddecrypter my cpu usage goes to 100% all the way and locks up when i leave the pc!

i am not sure why and where this came from, any ideas what i can do to increase the cpu usage?

and is there any settings on shrink or other app or windows that could help this, note i have already done a burn, but the problem just came, followed by my clueless sad wink?

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What size is your processor?

It is normal for Shrink to use almost all of your processor while encoding. That is why you need to make sure all other background tasks are turned off (like Norton) and make sure you are not doing anything else on the computer during this process. Also another good Idea is to make sure you are keeping that processor cool. Make sure you have a good fan and that everything is clean inside your computer this is what will cause the system to lock up or crash. It is overheating!

3. babyalien

babyalien Member

I changed my virtual memory, will that help?, from 255 to 350!

is this the processor info?
    mobile amd athlon xp2000+
    513mhz
    192mb of ram

1656mhz

i have now burnt a disc, but i have more to do, and i know it's over heating, i feel it like a kitchen pan!

thankyou, and stay around, the pc seems to be getting hot and weird over something when i'm just doing nothing,could it be age.

4. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

What bbmayo said, make sure nothing in the background is running. Also, i see that you only have 192mb of RAM. In my opinion, I believe this memory is too low. If i'm not mistaken, just running windows XP takes about 128mb or RAM. You might want to consider upgrading your RAM to 512, not too expensive now a days. About the cooling fan, how old is your comp? Most fans don't go out that fast. Hope that helps.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Oh so you are running a laptop.. Thats even going to run hotter yet, and AMD XP2000 CPU is going to deffinatly run hot in your laptop. There really isn't much you can do in a laptop to help this out. Your system probably just passes the minumum requirments for backing up DVD's. Your best bet is to do as little encoding as possible while backing up your DVD's. To do this only copy the main movie with no menu's or extra's. This will help with little to know compression and should help you out. It will save you from having to buy a new laptop for now. :)

If you need to see exactly how to do this check out the very first guide at my website the link is in my signature..

6. babyalien

babyalien Member

my laptop is approximately 2 years old i think!

i may have more ram than that, i think they say that so much ram is put towards windows, and the rest is mine!

i'm not 100% sure.

can a laptop be upgraded with ram easly?

7. babyalien

babyalien Member

Btw I burnt a film just now, and in windows media player it was just sound, in another app it all worked but my favourite app winddvd would not play at all?

8. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

Yes it can be upgraded, but you have to look into your specs very carefully with the processor you have. You might overheat it even more.

9. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

For your sound/image problems, you probably need to download the compatible CODECS.

10. we_rule

we_rule Member

Goto www.kingston.com

Goto the memory search box and put your laptop info in and it will tell you what type of RAM you need for your computer.

A couple of good places for decent pricing for RAM is www.buy.com and www.newegg.com

11. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

babyalien ,
    You might be better off building you own computer as the price you will spend is not that much now. As stated the Laptops get really hot and unless you get one of the newer gaming laptops( Not Cheap) most laptops overheat If you look into building your own computer make sure you install extra fans as the price for the fans is about $10.00 US

12. babyalien

babyalien Member

Can't afford ram yet, I have other things to purchase.

Why would windvd not work anymore, I was playing dvd's on it the day before, but now it does'nt do anything? would another app affect it, i can't think why but?

13. we_rule

we_rule Member

Did you install any new software between the time that WinDVD worked and then didn't?

Do you have any Codec packs installed?

Try uninstalling WinDVD, restart and then reinstall it.

14. babyalien

babyalien Member

what codec do I need?

15. we_rule

we_rule Member

You need a DVD decoding codec. Win DVD should be all you need. Did you uninstall and reinstall?

16. babyalien

babyalien Member

back on topic, i'm really upset find out my burnt dvd, I watched played but had cliches little stilled bites, about 50, alot, I cannot accept that, so much effort time, money for this, I WILL upgrade, I can afford it, I'll buy the highest ram for my laptop if thats ALL i need, i hope! so is it just ram?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

win xp
    mobile AMD athlon xp 2000+
    513 mhz
    192 mb of ram
    -
    regarding VM, look at this and recommend the settings for A and B?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/babyalien/1121423r.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  17. babyalien

babyalien Member

One thing at a time, i Know you have answered my question, but I want to make everything super sure, first find out what I need, will it fix this problem, then where to order, do I need to send it off the be upgraded or should i do it myself, is it easy, it's a laptop,but i do see a ram symbol and case on the bottom so i think i could just order some?

thankyou

18. babyalien

babyalien Member

Ok, I have sanded off my laptop id, in windows where can i find the compaq name?