1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Usage Problem

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by raryke, Feb 2, 2007.

1. raryke

raryke Member

When I am just sitting at the desktop my CPU Usage is constantly moving between 50% and 100% and never drops below 50%. There seems to be a decent amount of things running under processes tab. Ive included a couple links to JPG files to show whats running in the background. I just want to know if there is any way to bring my CPU Usage down under 50% and what processes I dont need running or can be removed completely. Thanks

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Next time, set your pic links up one at a time... :)

It seems you need to go into your MSCONFIG and clean up a ton of startup entries you really don't need.

Any updater programs, like Adobe, Java, MS Office, Zune, etc.

Most apps like Zune, iTunes, IM Messengers all run fine without their startup programs.

You also seem to have a ton of background services for apps like Photoshop, and a few others you might want to look into disabling. You can disable them in the MSCONFIG utility as well.

3. raryke

raryke Member

Ill try that more suggestions are welcome

4. raryke

raryke Member

Alright I went into MSCONFIG and disabled all my startup and service items and I had some problems. Sound wouldnt work, Windows xp theme switched to classic, and I couldnt connect to the internet. So what exactly has to be running in there to make my computer work without all the crap. When I disabled everything my CPU Usage was at 0% so it has to be something in there. Thanks

5. Molder

Molder Regular member

There isn't an answer to give you here, you need to look at what is running and make a descision based on what is there. I would untick things in statup like qttask, ituneshelper, nerocheck, any kodak, exif, photoshop things that belong to programs that don't really need to start at startup. Make sure you leave your antivirus, adaware and firewall apps to load at startup or you wont have any protection.

Moving onto the services tab, check the box that says "hide all microsoft services" that way you won't turnoff any system services. Next have a look at the services running, turn off iPod service, if you have bonjour service, I turn of the nvidia display driver service with no ill effect. All the other stuff I have is needed like firewall, antivirus, orinter event managers and the like.

If your not sure do a screen shot of your msconfig panel and me or someone will be able to assist. (Ctrl Print Screen)

Hope this helps.

M

6. dazila

dazila Regular member

U really didnt have to diable all just the ones in Startup,Sercvices-A few that arent to do with windows,you have disabled all do you know what that means.
    Your computer will not detect usb.
    Your computer will not automatically instsall any or detect any printers digital cameras or scanners.
    No sound.
    all of your products drivers eg.Graphics card will not run.

Trust me its something YOU installed not something to do with windows im running Windows XP PRO on a P3 with 933mhz 512mb ram which is my older pc and it runs Xp,Messenger,One care,GPU drivers,Royale Theme,Sounds at onece and on idle its usage is about 1-3% my other pc runs Vista Ultimate its P4 3.4ghz 2gb Pc3200 it runs Ultimate,One care,Messenger,Sound GPU Physx Lexmark drivers all at once,Windows Aero,FLip enabled,4 USB devices and the PC barely reaches 2% on idle sometimes jumps up to 2% and goes abck to 1%.