1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CrAcKdOwN!!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by IMRANmel, Sep 11, 2003.

1. IMRANmel

IMRANmel Regular member

A 12-year-old New York girl - among the first to be sued by the record industry for sharing music over the Internet - has settled out of court.

Brianna LaHara is off the hook after her mother agreed to pay £1,200 to settle the lawsuit.

She also apologised and admitted that her daughter's actions violated copyright laws.

The hurried settlement came a day after the Recording Industry Association of America filed 261 such lawsuits across the country.

Lawyers for the RIAA said Brianna's mother, Sylvia Torres, contacted them early to negotiate.

"We understand now that file-sharing the music was illegal," Torres said. "You can be sure Brianna won't be doing it anymore."

And Brianna added: "I am sorry for what I have done. I love music and don't want to hurt the artists I love."

The case against Brianna was a potential minefield for the music industry from a public relations standpoint.

The family lives in a public housing project on New York's Upper West Side, and they said they mistakenly believed they were entitled to download music over the Internet because they had paid £18 for software that gives them access to online file-sharing services.

Even in the hours before the settlement was announced, Brianna was emerging as an example of what critics said was over zealous enforcement by the powerful music industry.

2. THEDICE

THEDICE Member

as we all know we have to protect these starving pop stars who have no money and dont have flash cars and huge mansions and dont get paid a truly stupendouse amount of money .take robbie williams for example i think it was 80 million he got .and im supposed to have simpathy for these greedy shits because its illegal to dl there music.

3. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

I just plain and simple dont buy CD's anymore.. If it's not on the radio it must not be worth listening too...

Matt

4. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

Yeah. The radio, MTV, and BET full fill all my music needs. Who needs crappy RIAA cd's that are over priced and only have one or two songes you listen Too!_X_X_X_X_X_[small]You are probably wondering how I came up with the name Hanedrick. Well... the name Hanedrick is a very distorted version of my sisters name and I call her that whenever I want to get on her nerves which is like 24/7.
    Version 5 ps2.
    Fliptop Cover/smd[/small]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2003
  5. DMW

DMW Regular member

Robbie williams openly told people to download his tunes, which didnt impress his label (EMI i think), but i agree with what you said.
    what music do you guys listen to? most of the radio music is industry trash anyway, which is the kind of rubbish to blame for dropping sales. For pop music the charts and such are great, but for any alternates then they wont fulfill your needs. The radio is an example of the riaa s**t, people hear one "good" tune and go to buy the album which is then full of utter garbage.
    well im rambling, take it easy guys.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2003
  6. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

If only she knew the truth, which is not one of those artists will see a cent from those lawsuits!

7. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

I dont buy CD's anymore because I think there are too many 1-hit wonders now days. Plus I can always find something I like on the radio.(it's free) But they have me hooked on the DVD's in a bad way..

Matt

8. Dela

lol :) you know recording off the radio is illegal? ;-)

9. THEDICE

THEDICE Member

when personel mp3 players and mini disc players first hit the streets the adverts for them were all about the freedom to make your own compilations and listen to what you want were you want ,now as it is actually illegal to copy your music in whatever format it might be to any other format companys like sony were advocating piracy .so why didnt the riaa take em on . sony huge powerful billion doller company ,vs riaa ??????????

10. Dela

aint sony music entertainment part of the recording industry association of america?

11. ABMone

ABMone Guest

yeah there like the first name on the subpoena

Sony=RIAA

There is a lot of people who got sued making comments to swear never to buy another Sony product ever and urging others not to either.

ill stop buying sony crap except ps2 games gotta have those

12. Dela

They cant sue you for saying dont buy their products. This shit has got to stop, they think they can settle everything in court. They are like children I swear, running off, oh oh help us oh great american law, we have billions BUT WE WANT MORE and they wont give it to us :(

13. ABMone

ABMone Guest

O no i messed up my words. they first got sued for downloading music and then started spreading the word on tv shows and news to not buy sony products in hopes more people wouldn't either
    kindof a boycott
    sometimes i dont talk right, sorry_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2003
  14. Dela

actually its that statement u just made there that i dont understand :S lol

15. straubd

straubd Guest

Yeah Rage had the right idea " fusk you I won't do whatcha tell me". I would like to stick it to everyone of those riaa bastards. Oh wait I already have by downloading more music. I propose a flame war on the riaa. People should be spamming their email boxes constantly.

16. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

And that would accomplish what? Sigh... your guerilla actions wont accomplish anything. The only way people in power like the RIAA will listen is if someone higher up says so. Thats where voting comes in.

17. straubd

straubd Guest

OK I'm listening, how do we vote them out. It's not like they're a politician. I guess we just vote with our dollars,but then I've been doing that for years and they're still here. They are a relic and if they don't change their ways they will go the way of the dinosaur(not that I would care). Apple has the right idea btw. Just think of all the money and grief the riaa would have saved if they embraced the new technology as Apple has.

18. Dela

The only real thing anyone could do to hurt them for their actions is boycott buying from them. But I guarantee you if someone stood up and said it, they would be sued cause some "industry pushed" law protects them against it!