1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cracking protection on dvds

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by becky, Jul 25, 2002.

1. becky

becky Guest

i have an pioneer ao4,and have writing softwear instant cd/dvd and nero. i manage to copy fimls i get off someone no problems,they are all the lastest relseaes and have no protection on them so i figure they have all ready been cracked, im in the uk and the films say all reigons ntsc: hence copy fine play in all dvds ive tried.
    the problem is when i try to copy a dvd i just brought or hired from a shop they have protection on them. ive read peoples comments and own threads and result in confusion. i know they can be cracked, a freind said he downloaded a cracking program called dvd decss, which ive heard does it. im fair new to this so if someone could please have to time to explain this to process to me or point me in the right way i would be very much gratefull thanks becky uk ..

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Hello becky, the 'protection' you mention here actually refers to different protection mechanisms. There are numerous faqs on this subject but I can't seem to find a good one right now, so here goes: the DVD is encrypted using a scheme called CSS. This prevents you from doing a simple copy of the disc. 'regions' - this is a different protection to prevent people from playing the discs in the wrong regions around the world. The region code is indicated in one of the information files on the DVD. Unencrypted.

Anyhow, many of the tools here will get you past these annoyances:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/

I presonally recommend DVDdecrypter or SmartRipper.