1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cracking the code

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by wuzzbert, Nov 4, 2003.

1. wuzzbert

wuzzbert Member

Can anyone please tell me what format does a file need to be in for a stand alone DVD player to play it and Is there more than one?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2003
  2. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

what exactly do you mean? The architecture of dvds needs to be dvd format. that means that everything needs to be in a VIDEO_TS folder and the files will be ifo, bup, and vob---just like on commercial dvds.

Now some standalones will also play vcd and svcd of which I am not sure how they are formatted.

3. wuzzbert

wuzzbert Member

when I explore a dvd a first find a file called VIDEO_TS upon opening these I find a couple of navigation files and a couple of .BUP files.

Then there is the main files containing the film chapters. What format are these in?

4. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

the files are mpeg files (mpeg2) which have been formatted accordind to dvd standards. They are not chapters per se in that the vobs are limited in size to 1 gb and therefore a 4 gb movie needs 4 vobs to contain the content.

check out the doom9 reference:
    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/analyzeDVDcontent.htm