1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRC during ISO Write - Anymore suggestions?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by MWRipper, Nov 14, 2004.

1. MWRipper

MWRipper Member

Hi folks, first time poster long time visitor. I have been getting this dreaded CRC error during my writing sessions with DVD Decrypter while backing up my PS2 collection and it is becoming very annoying - 3 coasters so far. Funny thing is, when I backup using Nero it finishes w/o a hitch! I'd like to use Decrypter though since I need to patch some of my game's DNAs (Nero rips their images as *.nrg files - not sure if I can patch these the same way you patch *.iso files). Anyway, the error messages specifically are:

Failed to read from file: DVDIMAGE.ISO
    Reason: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Doing a search seemed to indicate at least to me that many people are having problems during the read phase not the write phase. The read phase has always ended with Operation Successfully Completed for me so I can't tell if there were any errors. Anyway, I'm going to try these "fixes" and see if they help any.

1) Try burning @ a slower speed.
    2) Defragging my hd

Anyone who has already solved this or have other suggestions please post! Thanks!

CPU - Athlon 2600+
    RAM - 512MB
    DVD Drive - Pioneer PVR108 (1.14 firmware)
    Media - Ritek G04 (also tried 1 other generic brand)

2. MWRipper

MWRipper Member

Okay here's what I found out. The problem's not w/ a heavily fragmented harddrive. That much I know for sure b/c: A) I defragmented the drive and still got the error when running a write test, and B) A quick check on Nero's settings showed that the image file is first being ripped to the same drive before it is burnt onto a DVD. Also, burning at a speed of 2.4 seemed to help. However, I have a feeling that the issue is w/ some setting on DVD Decrypter as I can think of no reason why Nero can rip to one drive and burn at max speed while DVD Decrypter cannot. I'll keep you all posted if I find out anything more.

Peace